Home Technology Question about Airplay 2, Apple TV and Sonos

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by rbf1138, Apr 19, 2018.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

From what we know of Airplay 2, will it be possible I'll be able Airplay the same music to all of my Sonos speakers, along with the speakers my Apple TV is connected to? This would be an amazing workaround to not needing to buy Sonos' $300 device that lets you use your own speakers to stream Sonos music.

This article seems to indicate it but they could misunderstand: "Furthermore, Apple has suggested that whatever speaker is connected to the Apple TV, be it a soundbar or speaker system, that would automatically become a de facto AirPlay 2 speaker."

2. afir93 macrumors 6502a

If all the Sonos speakers you have will get support for AirPlay 2, then yes, you will (from everything we know thus far) be able to stream the same music to all these Sonos speakers aswell as the Apple TV simultaneously. Simultaneous, synced-up playback to multiple devices is one of the big new things about AirPlay 2.

In this sense, I think you understand the article absolutely correctly. The new enough Apple TVs will all get support for AirPlay 2 and will therefore work as AirPlay 2 receivers, so any sound output device that you can connect to the Apple TV (TV, dedicated speakers, ...) will, thanks the Apple TV as an intermediate, work as a streaming output for AirPlay 2.

3. cynics macrumors G4

It should work as you intend it too. Although keep in mind the newer AppleTVs only have HDMI out plus a display is required for initial setup. Connecting to a dedicated audio only system could be tricky.