Question about AirPlay Mirroring?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pk314, Dec 12, 2014.

1. pk314 macrumors member

I just purchased an Apple TV and when I mirror my late 2013 rMBP to my Samsung TV I get a bit of lag in the cursor/mouse movement but there seems to be no noticeable lag in playback when I play something on VLC with AirPlay on. I was just wondering if this was normal or how to fix it? I've only had the ATV for about 2 hours now so I'm still learning more about it and it's features. Btw, my laptop is connected to my WiFi and ATV connected to my router via Ethernet and my connection is about 50 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up. Thanks in advance!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

a little lag is normal, your screen is being grabbed, converted, and transmitted all in real time.

airplay benefits from the fastest connection possible, and you are already mostly there, you could hardwire the laptop, but having at least the aTV is a big plus.

most people complain about stuttering on fast pans when watching full screen video.

the 50/20 speed has nothing to do with airplay, it's the size of the pipe coming into your house. that affects how fast web pages or streaming media (like netflix) get to your house or uploads leave your house.
    Airplay is all internal (inside your router)

you could use an app like beamer to send movies to your aTV, it reads the file so can get a bit ahead and build up a buffer to help with some of the jerkiness

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

The ATV's Ethernet port is only 10/100, if it's near your router wifi will provide faster speeds. Your internet connection doesn't have anything to do with the speed of your internal network though.

Do you know the response time of your TV? If it's high, the mouse may appear to lag as the screen attempts to catch up with your movements.