Question about airplay.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dantheman5398, Jun 16, 2013.

1. dantheman5398 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I just purchased a 15" retina macbook pro and I was interested in using my tv as an external monitor. Are there any that would allow me to wirelessly use my tv as a display? An apple tv is the obvious soulution however I don't need one for anything other than a wireless display reciever, are there any cheaper options? I also no just an HDMI cable would work but I would love to remain wireless. Anyway thanks a lot guys.

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

This is going to be much more practical with Mavericks where the AirPlay display can act as an extended desktop, but I would think an Apple TV would still be the cheapest way to do it. Don't expect to game or anything, as the latency is rather poor, but for video streaming it's pretty solid.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I was a bit intrigued by your question so I did a little research. Every other wireless HDMI solution I found was both as or more expensive and would require something plugged into your Mac as well as the TV.

Note that currently only a few apps can output directly to Airplay and for anything else Airplay can only mirror your main display and not give you a true additional monitor. This will change under Mavericks.

A wired solution, or someone else's wireless HDMI, would give you an actual second desktop until Mountain Lion.

4. dantheman5398 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks a lot guys I was really only curious about this for watching youtube video and doing some light web browsing. Would an apple tv be alright for this?

5. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

For that the ATV would serve your purpose well. Also the least expensive route to go. You won't be disappointed.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Using the aTV you can even watch YouTube without turning on your Mac at all!

7. dantheman5398 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks guys it looks like I will be purchasing an Apple TV!