Question about airport express/apple tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by yano729, Jun 19, 2011.

1. yano729 macrumors member

Hey whats up everyone, first time poster here. First I want to say I check this site daily and its awesome.

Secondly I am thinking about doing away with my airport express and getting an apple tv, cause its pretty much the same thing and once i get my iPad 3 :D, I will be able to use all the cool syncing features and mirroring. I love how I can play music through the stereo cable of my airport express and watch tv in the background. Very soothing for studying lol. I noticed that the apple tv just has an hdmi audio connection which would be plugged into my receiver and would require the use of a separate input and thus would not allow me to watch my directv. My question for you guys is, is there a way that I can do the same thing I had with my airport express.

fyi: I have all sony equipment, a sony xbr and a sony receiver if that helps anyone.

Also, are there plans to release an apple tv 3 anytime soon, cause I can hold out a couple of months if there is. I know no one knows for sure, was curious if anyone has heard any rumblings about this. Thanks for your time and have a wonderful fathers day everybody!

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

The apple TV2 also has an optical output for audio only, if your receiver has a optical port spare you can use that.