Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
Here is what I want to do, but from reading the info on Apple's site, I can't tell if this will work or not:

The main router for the house is a NetGear router. Unfortunately, the signal does not reach certain rooms of the house.

I currently have an ethernet port in one of those rooms which is wired from the output of the main router (not sure how to say this - it's basically connected via ethernet cable to the main router as if it were a computer). That port has another NetGear router connected to it, which gives a wireless signal which I've set up with a different SSID. Unfortunately, that router is pretty old, and drops the signal constantly. The ethernet port itself works fine when hard-wired, but going through the router, it's a mess.

I was thinking of getting an AirPort Express to use the same way - it would receive its internet signal through an ethernet cable which is basically coming from the output of the main NetGear router.

I understand that the AirPort Express won't act as a repeater of the SSID from the main router, but I basically want to use it as another wireless access point that gets its internet from the main router.

I'm sure that's all clear as mud. Can anyone tell me if that would work? Or would I need to get an AirPort Extreme base station as well to substitute for my main NetGear router?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
yes, you can use the express as a second base station. And it actually will give you better performance with the connection to the main base being wired.

if you give it the same SSID and security settings as the main router, but different channels, your devices will connect to the stronger signal. and as you move around, they will switch back and forth automagically.

You want to put the express in "off (bridge mode)" under internet-> connection sharing

jbrettz

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
St Louis
I would just go with a new apple extreme with the airport express and make it all N instead of b or g. It is seamless this way and works wonderfully. I retired by linksys router, picked up a airport extreme and added a airport express to extend by network to the other end of the house. It was simple and works great. Having everything being apple made it much simpler then mixing differnt brands. The hours is saved me from trying to mix brands was well worth the cost of a new router.

brett

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
the only time mixing different brands comes majorly into play is when you're trying to wirelessly extend a network, wired it works great if you set it up like i said. In one the places i used to live i had it set up just like i mentioned earlier.

I've got a linksys (running DD-wrt) that is several years old serving my B/G for the iphone, and an Express serving N for my laptop. Granted these are separate networks, and a little different set-up than what i mentioned earlier. But i don't have the need for a second B/G base as i have adequate coverage with the one. If the OP doesn't need N, there's no reason to upgrade the existing base if it's working. :)apple: already has $29 Billion in cash lying around)

also when you wire the second base, you don't get the performance hit that you do when you extend wirelessly. For every jump of WDS, you loose about half your speed.
And you don't have to worry about having a decent signal to make it to the second base

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
the only time mixing different brands comes majorly into play is when you're trying to wirelessly extend a network, wired it works great if you set it up like i said. In one the places i used to live i had it set up just like i mentioned earlier.

I've got a linksys (running DD-wrt) that is several years old serving my B/G for the iphone, and an Express serving N for my laptop. Granted these are separate networks, and a little different set-up than what i mentioned earlier. But i don't have the need for a second B/G base as i have adequate coverage with the one. If the OP doesn't need N, there's no reason to upgrade the existing base if it's working. :)apple: already has $29 Billion in cash lying around)

also when you wire the second base, you don't get the performance hit that you do when you extend wirelessly. For every jump of WDS, you loose about half your speed.
And you don't have to worry about having a decent signal to make it to the second base

Thanks for your help with the settings. I got the AirPort Express, and it works perfectly wired into my existing network. The speed is fantastic compared to what I had been using, and the range is much better also. At some point I might get the AirPort Extreme also, but right now, I'd just as soon save the money, having just spent a bunch on my new MacBook!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.