Question about Airport Express wireless bridge

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by circadian, Sep 27, 2009.

1. circadian macrumors newbie

I have an Airport Extreme base station (802.11n/g) and I use an Airport Express (802.11g only) to extend the network throughout my apartment as part of a WDS bridge. Most of my devices connect to the Express just because it's closer, but I don't get great reception anywhere (thick brick walls). If I replace the Express with a newer "n" enabled version, would there be any benefit in range to my "g" devices?

I guess what I'm asking is if "g" devices can connect to the Airport Express, which then in turn connects to the base station using the superior "n" standard, like this:

iBook ---> ( 802.11g) ---> Airport Express ---> (802.11n) ---> Airport Extreme

...or if the device is "g" only then does the connection have to remain in the "g" mode all the way back to the Airport Extreme base station?

I'm assuming that the "n" standard would have a greater range and signal strength than my current "g" network. I hope my question makes sense!
    :)

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you have one G device, then your network is all G.

the express will be in either G or N mode.

the "N only (5GHz)" actually doesn't go through walls as well as "N- B/G compatible (2.4GHz)" It is faster, but you have to decide if you want range or speed.

probably no (or minimal) increase in range.

You could get an N express and put an ethernet cable between the G & N expresses. and have the N receive the signal from the extreme and the G transmit a new signal, but probably wouldn't gain you much.

3. circadian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll stick with my older Airport Express since there's seemingly not much benefit in having a newer one. :)