Question about Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Andrew Henry, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

So I just bought a new revision Airport Express, so from reading I've learned that the AE can act as a bridge/wireless extender for my AEBS (dual-band), my question is, can it only do either N-5ghz or G2.4ghz, and not both at the same time?

Also can anyone give me some ideas on REAL LIFE range I should expect to get with it? If I can in fact only do one band, I'll be doing the G band as N pretty much covers everywhere but G isn't so good at penetrating the walls it seems.

Thanks!

2. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

You can extend either 2.4Ghz or 5GHz. 802.11n works on both of these frequencies. If you're looking for the best overall range, you should extend on 2.4GHz, as 5Ghz has poor penetration through walls.

4. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is how I have it set up on my AEBS, 2.4ghz is for G devices only, and N 5ghz is for the faster devices, I get full signal everywhere in my house with wireless N, but not with 2.4ghz G, so I'm going to extend the 2.4ghz G network.

5. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Why not set it up so 5GHz is n-only while 2.4GHz is b, g, and n?

6. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have 5ghz N only, but when you do 2.4ghz b/g/n it cripples the range, at least for me, and I use 5ghz N for my N enabled devices, because the 2.4ghz spectrum is congested where I live, so I use G for PS3/iPhones/iPod etc. that only support G. There's no need for me to use both for N.