question about airport extreme base station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aphexacid, Aug 27, 2007.

1. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I just ordered myself the new gigE aebs. i thought about it for a while, and i decided that even though its sort of pricey, its got some pretty great features.

i do have a question that i just thought of. i have a few computers that i would like to connect via 802.11a. my question is, will the aebs be able to provide all the protocols at once? becuase i have a couple laptops with an 'n' card, a couple that that should connect via 'a', but then i also have a ps3 and a wii which are b/g only...how will that work?

One of my biggest reasons was that i wanted to get as many devices as possible the hell off that damn 2.4ghz freq.

Also, i currently have a linksys wrt54GL with upnp. does the aebs also upnp? if not, does it have something like it? forwarding ports sucks...

thanks so much in advance!

2. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I don't believe it will work on both frequencies at once, no. What you could do is have your old router operate as a hub at 2.4 GHz, and let the Airport manage all the addresses and 5.8 GHz traffic.

Apple uses an IETF standard called NAT-PMP, rather than the proprietary UPnP. Azureus supports it, I haven't had much call to set up anything else with it. The manual port forwarding interface is super clean, though, and it's easy to set up DHCP to always give the same address to specific machines. I can't describe how much easier the Airport router software is to use than the Linksys interface, let alone the awful, awful DLink interface. If only it would install on Windows 2000...

3. kolax macrumors G3

Nope - either A and N or B/G and N. Not all 3 at once.

[​IMG]