Question about amazon.com return and advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDE, Jun 1, 2008.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I got a replacement MBP from amazon.com after the previous one developed a completely inverted screen. It was probably just a cable, but I decided I didn't want to have it repaired so early on so I returned it, ordered a new one and got a refund for the old one. I was abroad for a bit so I didn't get to use the machine for the first few weeks after it arrived on APril 28. Unfortunately, it has the vertical lines across the bottom of the display and the problems is completely random and intermittent, as people have reported. . Not a big deal since there is solution, albeit only a temporary one, but this is a new machine and I don't want to deal with any problems at all.

I showed it to a genius yesterday but they really have no clue what this issue is and the first one claimed to never have seen it before. The other had seen it, but didn't have a solution and insisted that they have to be able to reproduce it, even though I had taken pictures. Until Apple is totally open about this issue, I won't assume that it's a small issue that will not affect the MBP in the long run. I'd prefer to just return it and be done with it. I've had a few penryn MBPs and the others didn't have this problem.

ANyway, I thought my return period had expired, but for some reason Amazon has my return period lasting until June 5 ( it was signed for April 30), so I'm wondering if I can just send it back and ask for a replacement, or if they're likely to discover the error and try to charge me a fee or not accept the return because it's past the 30 days. Their automated system allows me to process the return and print the labels. What do you think?

They're usually really good, but I feel I'm pushing it a little ,being outside the return period..but then their own computer system says I have until June 5th (probably because they calculate a few days extra for shipping and didn't consider that I requested overnight shipping).

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If they'll let you, I'd go for the return.

If they try to charge you, tell them the machine is defective; of course in reality, the responsibility is really Apple's and yes they have to be able to reproduce it to fix it.

3. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

apple seems clueless about this issue, despite it being widespread and also around for a few months. The problem is that. It can't be reproduced consistently - that's why I brought along photos. This is obviously an issue and apple can't continue to deny it just because they can't reproduce it on demand - then we're never going to see a fix
    at all

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

If they say you can return it, return it. Don't question the automated dates. Amazon is one of the nicest places to return things.

5. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

So I just got cofirmation that a replacement is being shipped out and I'll get it tomorrow! You gotta love amazon....let's just hope it's going to be a good one.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats. I love buying stuff from Amazon; especially the unlimited free shipping... though I'm not happy with the new New York State law that requires out of state retailers to charge tax; that's a direct violation of the contitutione; states cannot charge interstate taxes!

7. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

For the past 5-6 years I've only had great experience with them, but this time I thought I was pushing my luck so I'm very happy with their handling of it.

I agree with the NY state tax thing - but they'll still be cheaper and provide more generous return/shipping policies than anybody else. I'll continue buying expensive items from them anyway, just for the extra security of their 30-day return policy.