Question about anti-glare screens...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jtcedinburgh, Jun 9, 2012.

1. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

Hi folks.

After the refresh, I am intending to buy a new laptop. This time I am tempted by the prospect of a 15" MBP, but perhaps with the anti-glare option.

Having not seen a recent MBP with the anti-glare option, I was wondering if anyone could tell me just how effective the anti-glare option is, and whether it has a negative impact on the clarity or dynamic range of the screen in everyday use?

I have a 27" iMac which has no anti-glare coating, nex to a Dell 27" panel which does. The Apple always strikes me as the better panel, despite being very prone to glare. However, that's not a fair comparison and I wondered whether the difference would be as pronounced between a MBP with and one without.

I won't be able to view the new MBPs in person ahead of ordering, so am keen to get some guidance on this from people who've owned or used both.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The best way to check is to go to an Apple store and look at both side-by-side, as this is a very subjective determination. What is reasonable glare to one may be very unacceptable to another. Likewise, the clarity on an anti-glare screen may be excellent to some and unacceptable to others. Ultimately, each user has to determine what works for them. There is no definitive, objective answer.

3. jtcedinburgh thread starter macrumors regular

The only problem is that my city (one of the cultural capitals of the world and with a student population of almost 75,000) doesn't actually have an Apple store for some bizarre reason. And I am not going to that Other Place just to find an Apple store..... :)

4. icewing macrumors 6502

I was concerned about this same issue; I do a fair amount of amateur photo stuff. I have a glossy iMac and love the color saturation. I was planning on buying the glossy MacBook pro, but after spending some outdoor time with my iPhone lately, I've changed my mind and will be going with an anti-glare. Colors look great on both, the only thing I could find is that the highest brightness seemed a bit lower on the anti-glare. Hope this helped you...

5. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

The anti glare screens don't detract from colour at all in my view yes side by side there will be a difference but you'll never notice owning one.

6. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

OP,

I had the original unibody MBP that didn't have the Anti-glare screen option until later.

I ordered a new late '11 MBP and I definitely went with the anti-glare screen since it is a HUGE improvement (IMHO) since the glossy screen does get a lot glare if there is any light bouncing off it, and especially the sun.

I'm very happy with my hi-res matte screen.

Of course, be aware that this-

The Glossy screens are only pictured on the apple site with the blackbars.

The matte screen has a silver bar. (Just like the Macbook airs). I think it actually looks better. (Note the glare just in this picture? The glare does bother me.)

Heres a pic I grabbed off google-

[​IMG]

7. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Cool thanks I had this same question.

8. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I own both, high res antiglare is well worth it. Its very sharp and easier on the eyes, the reflections on glossy are very annoying and sometimes plain ridiculous but stuck with it on the 13.

9. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I wonder if retina displays will have the anti-glare option? Or is it built into the display you think? Or maybe something like Retina+Anti-glare Add ($300)?

10. PresidentScroob, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

PresidentScroob macrumors newbie

PresidentScroob

I hope retina is standard and anti glare is just a free option but that's hopeful thinking. I've had both a glossy and matte display on my mbp. My glossy broke and yes the glare was bad at some times but matte feels washed out particularly for this model. '06 CD2.16 The newer matte models look better though.

11. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Is there an "add-on" to create a quality anti-glare feature such as a screen protector?

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As mentioned in prior threads it's a subjective matter. You can read all the opinions you want but in the end you'll have to assess for yourself. If we all agreed we'd all use the AG or we all wouldn't.

Then order an AG and return if you're not happy with it.

Worth is subjective. I prefer the AG. That doesn't mean that the next person does though.

There are films you can use. Again, "quality" is subjective. There are certainly prior threads that discuss these.

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

There's nothing special about a retina display (aka high pixel density LCD) that would prevent them from offering an antiglare option. Whether or not the option is offered will just be Apple's choice.

I'm hoping that they ditch the glass screens on the new MBPs, which makes sense if they're going for thin and light. Then even the glossy screens won't be as reflective as the current glass displays.

14. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I prefer anti-glare but I wanted a 13" to replace my early 2008 15" with a matte display. I purchased the $35 Power Support anti-glare film. Top-notch quality with no color shifts or artifacts. Compared to the 15" I could not see much of a difference. I have read complaints about some less expensive films.

The stock display can also be replaced with a matte display by Tech Restore for around $200.

15. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Yep. Moshi makes them, although i heard a lot of negative responses.

16. TechieGeek macrumors member

Is the pixel density and brightness identical with glossy and antiglare?

What do we sacrifice if we go with an antiglare?