Question about Apple Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gcooldude86, May 19, 2015.

1. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

Good Day, forgive me if this is in the wrong section. Just looking at Airport I see its got storage and acts as a router. With the storage space, is it primarily for backup or can it act as NAS so my family can stream stuff from all our devices?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are confusing the Time Capsule with the AirPort Extreme. The AirPort Extreme is an awesome router. The AirPort Time Capsule is Apple's version-saving file backup device that includes router functions.

Users love the Airport Time Capsule as a router. It is a Godsend as a backup device. However, Apple does not advertise it as a media server. I have seen no one use it that way.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The AirPort Extreme does not have built in storage. The AirPort Time Capsule is an Extreme with an internal hard drive. You can use the drive for both NAS functions as well as Time Machine! You can also connect a USB hard drive to the Extreme for the same function.

4. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Correct but I would not use it to "stream" anything to devices as the OP asked.
    It does not have any media server as some of the NAS devices.

5. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

The performance is really poor, i wouldn't even attempt to use it as a media device. You are better off getting a NAS drive if thats what you want to do. Also the Airport is very limited in terms of its function as a router.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It essentially acts as a hard drive that is wirelessly connected. The average throughput is around 20 MB/s read and write which is enough for most media files.