Question about Apple Cinema Displays Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SandersHokie, Jan 15, 2008.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

Ok, since they didn't update them today, I'm going to probably go ahead and get one. Does it come with all the cords necessary to hook it up to my MBP? Also, is it hard to run it as a dual monitor so that I can do different stuff on my MBP and something different on my ACD?

Also, are there any rumors of them updating them anytime soon?

thanks!

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

yes it comes with all the necessary cables.

no it is not difficult to use it as a dual monitor. use System Prefs to adjust the settings.

3. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

For just using it while sitting at a desk, would you recommend the 23 inch?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I certainly would. I think the 30" is great but you may not need all that and it's really kind of huge.

5. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

I was really hoping for a price drop or update today on the monitors. I am buying a new mac pro and will need a display. I had planned on going with the 30".

I haven't done the research on what's current technology for displays. How does apple's 30" compete given its age? Is there anything I should be overly concerned about? I'm leaning towards buying one despite their age. Knowing the resale value will be high is comforting. It would be extremely irritating if they are holding back an upgrade for later in the quarter knowing the mac pro update will help empty their current inventory.

Given that there's a 30" display in every apple store I've seen it in use enough times to feel comfortable with its performance (colors, brightness, etc). Unfortunately with other 30" displays you have to go mostly by review and hope their satisfaction will equal your own as there is not an opportunity to see them in use anywhere. Input would be appreciated - thx :)

6. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking of buying the 30 inch display, but i think it would be too big and just look too big for my desk.

7. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

depends how much time you have to spend in front of it. If it's for use with a computer you'll use maybe a couple hours after work then you'll probably do fine with a smaller size.

However if you are sitting in front of your computer modeling, using photoshop, or anything that's going to require long, long hours then do your eyes a favor and upgrade to 30". Although you may have a display that's 20 or 24" you forget what you're actually looking at and working on is so much smaller if you're in a big application with multiple toolbar sets or windows needed (just think of photoshop, or logic, or in my case cad and modeling programs)

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The MacRumors Buyer's Guide says "Don't Buy - Updates soon" based on the time since the last updates. It's like expecting an earthquake because one is long overdue, but possibly a little more reliable!

9. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

nothing points to them being immanent though - could be in a couple weeks or a couple months. I really wish the update would happen but I can't have a headless desktop while I wait and pray? for an update.... sigh*