Question about Apple Pay

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by unclejamaal, Nov 22, 2015.

1. unclejamaal macrumors 6502

ive never used Apple Pay but now I have an Amex card I can add it to the wallet.
    if a retailer accepts Apple Pay , can I use it via my Amex card even if the retailer doesn't accept Amex normally ?

2. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

If the retailer does not accept American Express cards, it will not accept the Apple Pay. The Apple Pay works exactly like swiping a traditional card would.

3. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

I think you may be wrong about that. If you can load a CC or DC into Apple Pay then it does not matter whether the the retailer accepts that particular card or not it will still go though. I may be wrong and if I am no doubt somebody else will come along and correct me.

4. Julien, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The transition still must be processed through the CC issuer's Bank. So if the merchant doesn't accept American Express then they can't take it. Here is a great explanation of the way :apple:Pay works.

http://www.kirklennon.com/a/applepay.html

5. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

Okay, I stand corrected

6. unclejamaal thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I initially thought The Cc Is transparent in Apple Pay but it's obviously wrong. Thanks for the explanation.

7. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

8. unclejamaal thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol
    Thanks for the answer earlier*. I guess it makes sense but I thought originally the credit card was hidden just like on PayPal

9. catean macrumors regular

catean

The number from your credit card is changed with a new one generated for Apple Pay named the Device Number. So, your original credit card is invisible for the retailer. But those Device Numbers are issued by Visa/AMEX or Mastercard, so if normal AMEX card numbers are not supported at a retailer it will not support the DN's issued by AMEX too.

10. unclejamaal thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent answer.

Another question: if a retailer supports contactless payment does that automatically mean they will support Apple Pay?

11. catean macrumors regular

catean

That is the the case with VISA and Mastercard, but we had situations where AMEX Contactless was supported but AMEX Apple Pay Contactless was not supported. So, if a terminal has contactless enabled, Apple Pay will 100% work with VISA/Mastercard but not 100% sure with Amex.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This may be true for your country but is NOT the case in the US. Many companies like Walmart are members of the CurrentC format and have :apple:Pay disabled. Others like Target and Home Depot are in the process of turning :apple:Pay on and is hit or miss if it works.

13. catean macrumors regular

catean

Yes, I am speaking about my experience in UK.

14. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

I know Boots have had trouble with American Express and Apple Pay and the same applies for The Co-Op.

However Boots do accept AmEx contactless (I've used it in the past) but as I no longer have an AmEx card I can't tell you whether or not where it does/doesn't work.