Question about Apple Refunds (Restocking fee?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JaxMac, Sep 23, 2007.

1. JaxMac macrumors newbie

JaxMac

Hi,

My local Apple store only had the 8GB Apple Touch's in stock. I really wanted the 16GB but I caved in.

After opening the box and playing with it, I really want the 16GB version.

So is there anyway to get around the 10% open box restocking fee? Would asking for the refund via store credit help?

Thanks!

2. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

There is not honest way to avoid the restocking fee in your situation.

If there is nothing actually wrong with your iPod then you will probably have to pay the 10%

3. Quickdood macrumors regular

If it has a bad screen you could easily get your money back! If you are not an honest person you could photoshop some pictures to make it look like you have a bad screen and show the photoshopped pictures as proof of your bad screen. I personally wouldn't do that but it prob would work.

4. JaxMac thread starter macrumors newbie

JaxMac

Darn.

Oh well, looks like it I'll pay the restocking fee. I was under the impression that it only applied to computers when I bought the iPod. :(

5. xerikx macrumors regular

so what do you think they would say when they turned it on to verify it worked etc? they're not going to take something back based on pictures printed off your inkjet printer...

6. PCRanger macrumors regular

I returned my iPod Classic a week after getting, having used it a little.
    They checked it was in as new condition, then gave me a full refund.:) This was in London by the way.

7. Quickdood macrumors regular

I am sorry maybe I wasn't clear, you put the photos that you photoshopped on the ipod. You can photoshop the Jay Z album cover to make it look like it has the problem. When I went to the apple store to exchange my defective ipod all I had to do was show them the Jay Z album cover and they were convinced.

To make it clear mine actually did have a defective screen, I would never follow through with this scheme.

8. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Just ask for the manager and say I would like to get a 16 gig. I bet they do it without the restock fee.

9. JaxMac thread starter macrumors newbie

JaxMac

That's worth a shot. Thanks!

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

I was going to recommend that too (talking to the manager). They do have the ability to waive the restock fee, but they're not required to. You've got nothing to lose by trying.

Kinda sucks that if you had purchased this at a Best Buy, there'd be no questions asked about getting a full-refund within 30 days for any reason.

Hope it works out!!!!

11. squashpro macrumors newbie

hey JaxMac --

I realize this thread is quite old, but how did everything work out? I'm thinking of going in about a system I just bought and have the same concern about the restocking fee.

and out of curiousity, in which state do you reside?