Question about Apple Replacement Program Coverage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sjword, Jan 31, 2016.

1. sjword macrumors newbie

I recently purchased 5 broken 2011 MacBook Pros from a certified state recycler. Their auction description was very generic, and didn't even include photos of the actual computers (even described them as "2009-2011" models), but I entered a low bid hoping they would be useful for parts to repair other computers (I refurbish Macs as a hobby and a bit of extra spending money).

Well, the computers arrived and to my surprise they are all in beautiful condition (9/10 cosmetics), but are all suffering from the dreaded 2011 GPU issues, which Apple does currently have a replacement program for. My nearest Apple authorized repair center (SimplyMac) is about an hour away, and I was hoping I could have them all repaired under that replacement program. I have a few questions, though, mainly to prevent myself from looking like an idiot and making a 2-hour round-trip drive for nothing! :)

1. Does the replacement program cover non-original owners? Obviously these computers were purchased by the original owners, then recycled or sold for scrap once the video cards failed. The recycler then sold them at auction (they had 50+ of them, but I only took a chance on one "lot" of 5). I know AppleCare must be transferred to a new user, but am unsure how the replacement program coverage works with 2nd or third owners, etc.

2. Will it look "odd" if I bring in 5 units for the exact same replacement/repair? Does the replacement program have any sort of "one repair per person" type of regulation? Do they even care, since they probably get reimbursed for the repair by Apple, etc.? I could imagine there are people who may go out and buy 50 of these things to have them all repaired by Apple for free, and then just r-esell them. Obviously I purchased them legally, and can provide that documentation, but do I need to provide original proof of purchase from Apple? Again, not sure how this works. Worst case scenario, I do just keep them for parts for future use.

3. I noticed one of the computers has a mis-matched bottom plate; the serial number on the logic board does not match the bottom plate (off by 2 digits). All others do. Will they refuse the repair based on this fact?

The computers are all-original, and do not appear to have been touched or altered in any way. Original RAM, hard drives (wiped), etc. No damage or missing screws or anything that would make me think they were worked on by anyone at any point.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The video repair extension program ends Feb. 27, 2016 so you better hurry. You can use the link to enter the serial numbers to see if the MBPs qualify. Then contact Apple (see Repair Process section on the link), I used Mail-in since I live 3 hours away from the nearest Apple store.

I believe Apple only cares if you are the owner, the MBP qualifies for the repair program, and their diagnostic tests confirm dGPU failure. I was the registered original owner of my 2011 MBP so there was no issues, but you may have to prove ownership. It should not matter if you have 5 or 55, if you own them and they qualify for repair then I think Apple will honor the repairs.
    It was all very fast and easy for me (see my sig for the timeline).

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

1. Warranty is tied to the serial number, not the owner.

2. Meh, maybe, but really, who cares? The program exists, make use of it.

3. It probably has already had a logicboard swap.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

1. It covers the computer as such, not its owner or user.

2. They won't care, and there's no limit per person, since the programme covers the machines rather than the owner. Also, even if does look "odd", it's not at all unrealistic that you would have actually purchased all of those machines yourself for use in your household. On the documentation, I wasn't asked for anything of the sort when I brought my into an AASP for repair.

3. They won't. What matters is whether it fails their diagnostics test. If it does, they'll repair it. What other sorts of modifications it has doesn't matter.

So to sum op: You'll be just fine.