Question about apple return policy on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KBS756, Apr 19, 2010.

1. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Hey... so I have a question regarding somethin that just happened.

I bought a macbook pro at the store and it was a 17 i7 matte. Thought id live with the matte. but after 3 days i just couldnt stand it (Crap Collectin in the screen corners) so decided to order same config glossy from the apple store and return this one when it arrived (which will be this wednesday).

Now the issue I have is. I left it at a desk with a friend when i went to the bathroom and someone knocked it over and dropped it ....

Theres a minor scratch on the top left corner on the aluminum and the lower case is slightly off flush but there seems to be no damage to it. The only major damage there is a bit of a warp and dent in the top left right above the speaker. not really noticable until u look closely at it. other than that the laptop works fine. Does anyone know if apple would accept this as a return ? I know i will prob have to foot a restocking fee for this crap. but would it be returnable ? or am i better off tryin to sell it to someone on ebay? is there anyway i can patch up this minor blemish to make it returnable?

Thanks in advance ...

can someone please help me here ?

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

really nothing to help u with...you know the answer.

to me your screwed...why should apple except a damaged return....

sell it on ebay and be clear of the damage...no matter how slight it is...

or live with the screen

3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Post a picture. Let's see what the damage really looks like.

4. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

will when i get home ... dont have a camera on me now ...

5. str8bucs macrumors regular

Man I would be pissed at the person that was supposed to be watching it!

Did anyone confess to knocking it over?

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

If Apple notices the damage, they won't take it as a return. The store near me has a Genius check over all opened Mac returns before they'll accept them. The store you return it to may not have that policy.

If you bought it with a credit card, does your credit card offer that 90-day damage/theft coverage thing? If so, this would probably be covered under that.

7. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a debit that i bought it with damn it

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The best you can do is to get it repair to sell it.

Apple does not take damaged protects back; sometimes they won't take it back if you damaged the packaging (or they will do it, but tell you it won't happen again).

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Let's be fair.

If you were Apple would you want a damaged computer back... no matter how large or small the damage is?

Who's responsible for the damage? Not Apple.

I'm not being critical, simply offering a different point of view.

Cheers... :)

10. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Yeah I'd be absolutely livid if someone knocked over my less than week old computer.

11. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree completely with that point ima not saying apples policy is unfair ... infact its perfectly fair ... ima just asking for advice outta this situation i am now stuck in ....

btw thanks for all the advice so far ... can anyone tell me how i can get outta this with the least possible damage financially?

thanks

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Make the person who dropped it pay for the repairs? If that's what really happened...

13. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

finally home ...

the dude who knocked it over was gone by the time i came back ... my friend just told me what happened

anyway attaching the pictures here so if someone can tell me if this is an acceptable return or not it would be greatly appreciated

I really hope that this is returnable ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

I think your screwed, it just seems to have to much damage. If it only had a scratch I would say go for it but they are going to notice all of the damage. I would still tell you to try, all they can do is say no.

Everyone is going to say don't try, but if they were I were in your situation I would try. I don't think its going to work but you never know till you try.

Good luck.

15. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so the way most of you are leaning is ima stuck with it?

on the positive side my younger brother said hed take it from me and pay me later on this year (he was plannin on gettin a 15 for college)
    So if nothing else works out at least i wont be loosing several hundred dollars to someone outta family

16. ChristWolves macrumors regular

I would advise you to live with it until the right time comes. ;)

My MBP actually got stapled by the forwarding agent two years ago but now, Apple decided to replace a new MBP for me after i had like two hard drive failures in three days.

Hope that helps.

17. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks everyone for your advice ...

i wish i wasnt in this situation but now that I am ill prob end up giving this to my brother and find someway to manage the cost of 2 laptops ... dont think i can stomach losing a huge sum of money selling it on ebay rather keep it in the family.

18. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Put it this way mate.
    If you went to an Apple shop to buy a refurb and saw your machine, would you buy it?

That's your answer.

So my advice, as you live in the states, is shoot the person who did that to your mac! ;-)

And how did you dare leave your MBP?

Mine is nearly 2 weeks old now and I refuse to be parted from it even when I go to the lavatory.

doris