Question about Apple TV 4K.

TuffGnarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Edinburgh
Hi there!

I recently bought a Sony XF90 TV and then added an Apple TV 4K last week. The TV is fantastic but the one major drawback is that only two of the four HDMI ports are HDMI 2.0 and I have three devices running through it. I think I’ve already resolved my issue but I was wondering if anybody here can confirm something for me because it’s been really difficult to find information about this.

I decided to plug the Apple TV into one of the non-2.0 ports (HDMI 1.4?) and sure enough, having previously been configured to output 4K Dolby Vision at 60fps the screen remained black and I had to wait a few seconds for the device to reconfigure to a compatible format. So then I figured that if the difference between HDMI versions is just bandwidth, why not just lower the fps output. I couldn’t think of a situation where I’d need more than 30fps with Apple TV, so I changed the format to 4K Dolby Vision at 30. Success! I think? 4K DV content to my eye looks as it should, my TV infobar says 3840x2160p and HDR when I’m watching something that is HDR.

So basically what I want to know is, is it definitely the case that 4K HDR/DV works at 30fps from a 1.4 port? Because it’s almost impossible to find any information on the net that isn’t “you’ll need HDMI 2.0 for 4K HDR”.

TuffGnarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Edinburgh
So what do you think is going on then?

If I switch the output to 1080p the text in the menus is far from crisp but in 4K DV 30 it’s sharp and there’s definitely DV or some form of HDR being output - the DV logo is visible and you can tell visually.

4K Movies look indistinguishable from one another on the different ports and across my devices whilst HD movies look noticeably inferior to 4K close up.

I should say I don’t know if the lower bandwidth ports are 1.4, just that they’re not the same spec as the “enhanced” ports marketed as being 4K HDR @ 60 ready. Couldn’t find that info.