Question about Apple Watch and iPhone iOS updating...

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I bought an Apple Watch series 4 and didn't realize I have to be on the latest iOS on my iPhone to sync it. I'm jailbroken on 11.3.1 and I really don't want to lose my jailbreak. My question is if I decide to go ahead and update my iPhone to 12.3.X and sync will I need to keep updating my phone when I new iOS comes out or will I be able to keep using my watch and not have to update?

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Your watchOS follows your iOS version. If you never upgrade your iOS, your watchOS will never update. As for the minor version like iOS 12.2, that does not really matter that much.

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Oh ok. Thanks for the info. Apple Watch worth losing a jailbrake for? There are only 3 tweaks I use and if Apple had them I wouldn't jailbreak any more. Let us have blanks between springboard icons, let us change springboard grid size (and icon size) and allow thumb swiping on keyboard to move the damn cursor for typo corrections.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
First two tweaks are essentially the same thing: customise home screen icon locations. With Ive’s departure, there might be a tiny bit of hope this feature will be introduced in iOS 14 or 15 or even later versions.
As for the last tweak, instead of thumb swiping on the keyboard, “trackpad” is available on all devices by long pressing space bar on the keyboard. This is the feature to allow users to move cursors around. In addition, users can use thumb directly on the text to move cursor around. No more magnifiers (it is still available though). You need to wait till September / enroll public beta to use iOS 13 to get this feature though.

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
and allow thumb swiping on keyboard to move the damn cursor for typo corrections.
That’s already available in iOS 12. Force Touch (or long press in case of iPad) on space bar to turn it to track pad.

Worth losing a jailbreak? No one can say that but yourself but if you want to get healthy, goes exercise the watch is essential.

Rodan52

macrumors regular
iOS 13 and iPad OS 13 are due to be released in September so you may not even need to reinstall the jailbreak to get what you want because 13 is quite a jump from 12 all following in line with the macOS Catalina 10.15 release due at the same time.
They are all pretty groundbreaking upgrades and personally I wouldn't want to miss them bearing in mind that Catalina will be exclusively 64bit apps.
I'm running the beta of iOS 13 at the moment and it's pretty good.

HDFan

macrumors 65832
Jun 30, 2007

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
An Apple watch is a totally different animal than an iPod. Eventually old watch hardware will be unable to support the latest software features. IOS 13 won't ruin on iPhones older than 2015, such as the 5S, 6 and 6+.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3282811/which-iphones-ipads-support-apples-ios-13-and-ipados.html
I wrote about iOS, not watchOS. Obviously watchOS 5 and 6 don't support the 1st gen Watch.
But iOS 12 does and most certainly so will iOS 13. And as far as my expectation goes, the versions to come after that as well.

Much like iTunes still supports the 1st gen iPhone (while obviously current iOS doesn't) or as I said every iPod ever made.

HDFan

macrumors 65832
Jun 30, 2007
I wrote about iOS, not watchOS.
Yep, missed that. What happens when the latest IOS & WatchOS apps are completely revamped, such as is happening with Catalina? Aperture is dropped as of Catalina. Rather than just a few needed integrations you need with an iPod (playlists) you have an order of magnitude more complexity. Apple eventually drops support for older hardware so it will be interesting to see how that affects obsoleted versions of the watch when it happens.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Yep, missed that. What happens when the latest IOS & WatchOS apps are completely revamped, such as is happening with Catalina? Aperture is dropped as of Catalina. Rather than just a few needed integrations you need with an iPod (playlists) you have an order of magnitude more complexity. Apple eventually drops support for older hardware so it will be interesting to see how that affects obsoleted versions of the watch when it happens.
iTunes support for devices also goes way beyond syncing music, includes restoring/updating and for iOS devices even local backups. However I agree that integration of the Watch with iPhone is yet another level of complexity. We might eventually see certain features of watchOS 4.x not being supported anymore with future iOS releases, but I don't expect support for watchOS 4.x to be dropped altogether in the foreseeable future.