Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
it would be better if they better explain what the W2 chip actually doing as far as transmission. I know that you simply will take individual headphones out and it'll sense that, however once it involves transmission all I hear is that it's alleged to be as if by magic higher. Given a scarcity of testable claims, i'm skeptical that it's primarily a proprietary wrapper for Bluetooth with some asthetic tweaks very like iPhone lightening ports area unit a proprietary wrapper on usb with some fascinating asthetic tweaks.

As far As I concerned there is no Isolation, Non stable or less stable when they connected to other than apple devices.

How often does Apple (or any technology company) explain functionality at the chip level in a way that might satisfy a techie? I appreciate your curiosity (I like knowing this sort of thing, too), but "magic" is all that matters to the vast majority of potential customers. "It just works."

Part of the point of a closed system is that the manufacturer can do things that may not have been anticipated/allowed by a created-by-committe industry standard. If the Bluetooth instruction set does not include a "switch to mono/stereo" function, Apple has a leg up on the competition until the Bluetooth instruction set can be amended to include it. Selling quantities large enough to justify custom chip fabrication means you can market the use of a "magical" chip, rather than garden variety firmware accompanying off-the-shelf silicon. They can embed a secure handshaking protocol that's unavailable to products that lack the chip and makes it easier and/or more secure to use - just one more reason for customers to stay within the Apple ecosystem.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
is it normal for them not to be in shops? i am in portugal and want to get a set, but whether its through apple or from either of the two big electrical retailers, its a 6 week wait. is that unusual and is there a reason for it?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
is it normal for them not to be in shops? i am in portugal and want to get a set, but whether its through apple or from either of the two big electrical retailers, its a 6 week wait. is that unusual and is there a reason for it?

It's the current "normal." Availability has been tight since introduction, three months ago. The reason is that demand is higher than supply. The question is, "When will supply match demand?" I expect that will come within the next month or so. It can take a few months to increase manufacturing capacity/output, so decisions to increase production made in December or January (once the magnitude of demand was better known) should be coming out of the pipeline sometime soon.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
[doublepost=1490655596][/doublepost]
It's the current "normal." Availability has been tight since introduction, three months ago. The reason is that demand is higher than supply. The question is, "When will supply match demand?" I expect that will come within the next month or so. It can take a few months to increase manufacturing capacity/output, so decisions to increase production made in December or January (once the magnitude of demand was better known) should be coming out of the pipeline sometime soon.

Thanks for the input and help guys! So I've been checking out the istock every now and then and there was an available from AT&T!! But my question is, I know it would sound silly, but Is there any quality difference if it's purchased from att or other retailer besides Apple Store? Thanks again guys!!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
[doublepost=1490655596][/doublepost]

Thanks for the input and help guys! So I've been checking out the istock every now and then and there was an available from AT&T!! But my question is, I know it would sound silly, but Is there any quality difference if it's purchased from att or other retailer besides Apple Store? Thanks again guys!!

No reason for the quality to be different.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

ordered, given a vague 'maybe april maybe may' and waiting impatiently :D

giopio

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
All the previous ear bud type of devices from  would fall out. So I tried them out at the Apple Store and they seemed to stay in well. I received my pair of Air Pods yesterday and this morning I tripped and fell on my driveway and the air pods stayed in as I hit the ground. Pretty amazing. The sound is pretty good not sure what the EQ setting helps them sound the best yet.

FWIW, They stay in well for me most of the time. They will fall out if I lie down and forget to take them out (yes, that's probably the biggest problem — they're so light and comfortable you'll forget you're wearing them). So if I'm ever doing anything that I want to make sure they are secure for, I just put a pair of those old school foam earbud covers on them. This gives them just enough of a snug fit to hold secure and not become uncomfortable. They'll fit in the case with them on as well. When the covers are not in use, I just wedge them in the cap portion — one on each side. Works like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.