Question about AppleCare and accessories

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alec6542, Mar 13, 2013.

1. alec6542 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

When I purchased my iphone 5 in August, I also bought a spare lightning cable a few weeks later. Since then, one of them has failed completely and the other one only works when plugged in one way instead of both. There is no apparent physical damage which would make sense as I take good care of my Apple hardware, so I am positive this is most likely a warranty issue.

I understand that Apple would likely exchange them for free at the Genius Bar which would've great only thing is I live 2 hours from an Apple Store. Is it possible to deal with this at an AASP or via AppleCare telephone service(I have AppleCare+)?

Thanks for any help!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they can replace them by mail.
    I'd give them a call.

3. gunerumer macrumors newbie

Macbook White Unibody 2010

Hi guys,

One day i thought i should remove the dust in my macbook by removing the bottom case and blowing it off, i firstly disconnected the battery connector but didnt remove my whole battery off, i then removed the fan by disconnected the attached connected and after i finished the whole proceedure, i connected everything together back as it was in the first place, i then attempted to power up my macbook but it didnt power up for some reason, i thought it had no battey so i connected the charger cable and a green dimlight showed up , i dont know what that symbolizez so i tried turning it on again and it wouldnt turn on for some weird reason, i checked on youtube how to power it up and it said i should try the SMC mode, i tried it and no luck :S

please guys, what do you advice me to do, some advice would really help :(

thanks agan.

4. alec6542 thread starter macrumors regular

So a quick follow up. After spending almost an hour on the phone with Apple support, the guy tells me that both cables will be replaced. Then I am placed on hold for about 10 minutes, and am put on the phone with a senior advisor. The senior advisor tells me they will replace the lightning cable that came w/ AC+ for iPhone, and then asks me when I bought the other lightning cable online, and I said on September. He then rudely goes "oooooooohhhh....man that is WAY to late man, that is way past 30 days no way we can give you a refund man". So I say "Isn't this a warranty issue? I'm not looking for a refund I'm looking for a replacement under manufacture warranty" and He says they don't apply to cables. Is this true? I decided not to argue with him and first find out what the deal is, then either call back and talk to someone else or, since I am going to a city with an Apple Store in 2 weeks, just go to a GB, since its my understanding they swap them out like candy. Any thoughts?

5. wxman2003 Suspended

Just make a genius appointment with the Apple store you want to visit. Show up and get your cable replaced.

6. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I know old thread, but how did things work out. The lightning cable that came with my 5 will only work when plugged in one way. I have applecare so i am hoping to get it replaced. Wish this could be handled online somehow.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sounds like a misunderstanding regarding a refund or a misinformed rep concerning the warranty. Separately purchased cables also come with 12 month limited warranty (although you may not get phone support like with AC+ and may have to make an appointment to go to a physical store).

8. alec6542 thread starter macrumors regular

When I received the replacement package, despite being told by the "senior advisor" I would only be given one replacement for free. I was surprised, delighted, and perplexed when I opened up the package and there were two replacement lightning cables. I watched my credit card statement for a few months and never got charged. Not sure if it was a mistake or what. Maybe he had a change of heart after speaking to me? On a side note, there is something seriously wrong with the design of these things. I have gone through nearly a dozen of these things since September of 2012. Never had issues with the old 30 pin connector.

9. phoenixaz85040 macrumors newbie

wow they are also able to release rejects just like others huh

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You seriously blew through nearly 12 Lightning cables or are you exaggerating? Why, then, would you get only 2 replacements? They have one year warranty.

FYI: Never had problems with the five Lightning cables in this household (5/5s and iPad 3) and there haven't been too many posts about Lightning cable failures.

11. blarivee macrumors 6502

Maybe they found some other way to get the system to give you two replacements.

I have been using the same connector for one year and haven't had any problems. Maybe you're scraping the gold contacts against the casing of the iPhone port while you are plugging in. Over time the plating comes off and you have spotty contact points.

12. alec6542 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay more like 7 or 8 but still. Ever since I got the two replacements, every other one that's broken I've had replaced at an Apple Store for free.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Okay, so you've broken 5 or 6 more since getting the 2 replacements in March. That's still excessive and unprecedented by this forum's standard (considering how few threads we have on defective Lightning cables). How exactly are they breaking?