Question about AppleCare and replacement HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gumbyx84, Jun 14, 2009.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Hey all. I have a quick question that I need help with. I have an early 2008 MBP and have replaced the hard drive with a 320GB 7200RPM drive. I know this will void the AppleCare warranty if Apple finds out I did it. I kept the original drive as a bootable backup and to swap back into the machine in case I need to send it back to Apple for repair (so they don't know the drive has been swapped). ATM I am in need of a laptop HD (my PS3 needs a larger drive) and I am tempted to use the old drive from my MBP, but I want to make sure that I don't need it as a swap in case of MBP repair.

Basically, I am trying to find out if I should keep the original drive or not. I have read on this very forum that you should swap the original drive back to be safe when sending out your MBP for repair. I have also read (also here) that it doesn't matter. Then I've read stories of how Apple sent back their systems with a brand new stock HD and they lost they one they installed into their MBP. I'm just trying to get a straight answer on this as I just bought and registered my AppleCare warranty today.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'm not sure if swapping out a drive voids the warranty on the older MBP line but if it does... Apple will know you've been inside. (I would think anyway).

3. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

It will not void your warranty. Now if you did it on an imac it will void your warranty. I did it on my imac and it was "Fun" I had to use knives, Duck tape, even the kitchen sink.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

There was a person here a few weeks back that said that he sent his MacBook Pro in for repair because of a bad logic board. He stated that he had AppleCare and he replaced the HDD. AppleCare called him and stated that the warranty was voided because he replaced the HDD. But, supposedly, the warranty was only void for the HDD and everything attached to it. I will try to find the whole story if I can, or maybe he will post here. However, it is really up to you. If you can and are willing to shell out a little extra, I would get an AASP to do the replacement. But, if you would rather do it yourself, keep that original HDD just incase.

5. qpid macrumors regular

From knowing people who worked for Apple:

If you break something by swapping a non-userupgradeable part the warranty is void on everything you broke. However if you install it fine, Apple will fix everything except the non-standard parts.

I've seen repaired computers come back fixed but the extra hd in an anti-static bag, outside the computer.