Question about AppleCare and upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parish, Jun 2, 2010.

1. parish macrumors 65816

parish

My MBP is a pre-unibody one so the HDD is not user-serviceable. The 160GB is becoming limiting so I got a quote from an Authorized Apple Service Centre to u/g it to a 7200rpm 320GB so as not to void my warranty.

How would this affect the AC in the event that my MBP needed repair and Appple decided to swap it out for a replacement rather than repair it? Would I only get a 160GB disk in the replacement? Bear in mind it's a late-2007/early-2008 (3,1) MBP that I bought from the Refurb Store in Jan 2009 (hence why I still have over 18 months AC left on it).

Also, when I bought it, it was advertised as having 2GB of RAM but when it arrived it actually had 4 :D - I guess it was swapped out and the previous owner had u/g from 2 to 4 and sold the original so couldn't replace it when they sent the MBP in for repair. Again, would I only get 2GB if the machine was swapped out?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So is it going to swapped for a new one? Or are you just thinking IF it gets swapped? If you have a written proof that it's not going to void your warranty, go ahead. If you ever send it for repair, just put the original 160GB back

3. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

I'm thinking IF. As it's so old, i.e. so long out of production, that there is a greater chance that they might not have the parts and choose to swap it out. I did call Apple and they confirmed that as long as the u/g was done by an Authorized Service Centre that it wouldn't void the warranty.

The thing is that I couldn't put the 160 back in.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They may not have the parts in stock but they will order them if needed so you won't get a replacement straight away.

5. raxafarian macrumors regular

Well.... first off they are going to repair it IF it has any problems in the future. If it gets to the point that they are going to replace it, anything they replace it with will have a larger hard drive and more RAM standard.

They certainly wouldn't downgrade you. The hard drive being updated at an authorized service center won't void your warranty. Isn't that the point of you going there vs. doing it yourself?

Why do you think your machine is going to get swapped out if you aren't having any problems with it? Just enjoy it. They won't screw you out of 2GB of RAM :)

6. apple.gr macrumors regular

You won't have any problem by changing the Hard Drive. Apple gives you also advice (in Everything Mac) how to change it on your own.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, with unibody MBPs Apple does. In pre-unibodies, they only show you how to add RAM i.e. upgrading hard drive voids your warranty

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBookPro_Early2008_UserGuide.pdf

Anyway, the general opinion is that unless you break something, you're covered as you can just put the original HD back.

8. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

Yes, that was what I was wondering - swapped for a higher spec.

Exactly

I'm just concerned, as I said above, that parts may not be available for such an old machine so it couldn't be repaired if it broke - e.g. screen, logic board, etc.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple should have parts for all Macs that may still be under warranty. It may just take longer to get it repaired because they have to wait for the parts to arrive.

10. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

That's the (potential) problem, I don't have very steady hands and big fat fingers so messing about with the tiny parts inside a laptop means I probably will break (or lose) something :(

11. HBOC macrumors 68020

Upgrading DOES NOT (DOES NOT) VOID your warranty. How do I know, you may ask? Well, i upgraded my HDD in December (500GB travelstar). I took my computer in to Apple in March or April, and they replaced the keyboard. I asked if i needed to swap out the HDD, he said no.

The genius even told me that replacing the optical drive with an SSD or whatnot wouldn't void the warranty either. If they found damage relating to a user upgradable part, that part would NOT be under warranty, but wouldn't void your warranty for other things.

They fixed my computer no problems. Just letting everyone know.

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

Replacing the HDD was easier than changing the focusing screen on my 40D. Just take your time, put the various screws in different ziplock bags and label them, and follow the guide and you will be a-ok.

13. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

Hmm, interesting. MacTracker reports mine as a mid/late-2007 model, yet I bought it from the Refurb Store in Jan 2009 so I assumed that it had been swapped-out under warranty (having 4GB RAM instead of the advertised 2GB suggested this too)

This was a pre-unibody (where you have to open the case to get at the HDD)? HDDs aren't user-upgradeable in pre-unibodies.

14. HBOC macrumors 68020

My MBP is an early 08', with the Peryn 2.5GHZ processor.... I had to open the lower case, take the keyboard off, etc..OH, and they are user-replaceable, just not easily, lol

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So just because ONE rep said this, it means that it applies to all reps? Sounds like your rep didn't care about your surgery but some reps may be really bitchy about that. Keyboard has nothing to do with hard drive so that matters too. If your MBP doesn't boot and you have 3rd party HD, Apple may refuse to fix it as the part you installed is NOT covered by Apple.

BTW, SuperDrive isn't considered as user-serviceable part so taking it off may void your warranty, again, depending on the rep

16. HBOC macrumors 68020

This is what i was told by the head genius, and confirmed by the store manager. This is at the Pioneer Place Apple Store in downtown Portland. They have never steered me wrong..

17. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I swapped the HDD in my 2006 MBP. Saved me a bunch on paying someone else to do it though I wasn't concerned about AppleCare. Go to ifixit.com and see the manual they have for your model. If you ever need to have your mac serviced just swap the drives again.

18. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

Could this be differences between the Ts and Cs in different countries (I'm i the UK)?

When I called Apple about u/g the HDD - I thought I could take it into a Rtail Store to have it done - they definitely said that doing it myself would void the AC.

I appreciate all the input here guys. I just want to be absolutely sure I do the right thing bearing in mind that what I paid for the AC (£273) would nearly buy me a PC laptop (albeit a poverty-spec one) so I don't want to risk throwing that money down the drain by not doing the right thing.

I'm happy to pay an Authorized Service Centre to u/g the disk but concerned I might 'lose' it if the machine ever has to be swapped out - although Hellhammer seems to think that unlikely and, even if it is, will be swapped for a higher-spec one anyway.

I guess my other option is a FW800 portable external drive?

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You won't be "losing" anything. If you machine goes bad and they replace it with new one, you can ask them to either move the files from the old HD to the new one or ask if you could have the old HD. They can even put the old HD in the new MBP if you want.

I just don't get your point.

20. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

You answered my point - convinced me that, if it comes to it, Apple will do the right thing.

Thanks for you help.