iPhone X Question about AppleCare+ claims

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesryanbell, Jan 2, 2018.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

So you get 2 claims for front screen damage at $29 each if you purchased AppleCare+ for $199 for iPhone X, which I did purchase.

It appears that my wife's earrings scratched my phone's screen, enough to bother me - about 1.5" long. It's not awful, as you have to hold it under light with the screen off in order to see it. ....but it drives me nuts when light hits it.

So my question is: Can you claim any level of damage you want for one of your two "incidents" of front screen damage?

Sub-question: Do they fix YOUR phone, or do they just grab a refurb out of the back? If they grab a refurb, then my serial number from my box won't match the phone when I sell it down the road. Minor concern, but I just didn't want to claim a super minor incident and get a refurb phone. Not worth that until more screen damage occurs.

Thanks for any help, as always. Appreciate the forum so much.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am pretty sure Apple makes those choices.

If they got a refurb that matches your device, they will hand it too you if they decide not to repair.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Short answer, no. AppleCare+ covers accidental damage, but not scratches and/or dents/dings. You can only get a replacement if it interferes with the actual usage of the device. Little annoyances don't count.

4. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Why not get a tempered glass screen protector and cover it. You won’t see the scratch anymore and it’s cheaper than $29

5. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

I wouldn’t worry about the serial numbers not matching you could just tell the buyer the truth that you bought and had to exchange for a new one and they don’t give you a new box and accessories when doing so.

6. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

They did a screen repair for me for the $29.00 with just a scratch. Why would they not do his? You bought the AppleCare+ so if you want to use the incidents, then use them.

7. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I think it depends on the rep you get because the AC+ isn't for cosmetic issues.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Terms and conditions of AC+ clearly state cosmetic damage is not covered.

9. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

I don't consider deep scratch across the screen cosmetic. It weakens the glass. Either way, I have been using AppleCare+ for years...I have gotten three bad scratches across the screen and have used incidents to have it repaired...once, they just gave me a refurb. Maybe it does depend on the rep you get, but if I ever get refused, I will argue the glass integrity issue. I'm pretty sure it will either be repaired or replaced. Thanks, though.

10. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Yeah i agree but if the scratch is preventing tapping in that section then they will usually do it. techinically you can use a spiderweb cracked screen for a really long time with no issues and they will definitely fix that. yes crack vs scratch. I had a spiderweb crack in the corner and they fixed.

11. nburwell, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I have the same situation as the OP. But I have dropped my X several times in our entrance doorway where there was excess road salt and it resulted in several very noticeable scratches on the front of the phone that you really see when you the light hits it or if you shine a light directly on the screen.

I have AC+ and have been considering going to my local Apple Store to have them replace the front screen for $29. I do not want nor do I expect them to replace my device with a refurb.

Most of the replies seem to be divided in that, yes Apple will fix the screen, or per their T+C they will not. I suppose it's ultimately up to the rep that you get.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Personally I wouldn’t use one of my two incidents for such a slight scratch. May be annoying but more annoying will be a $300 bill if/when you really need a repair.

When my daughter broke the screen of her old phone (an iPhone 6), our local Apple Store simply replaced the screen - the phone otherwise was the same unit. No data was lost. Of course, all the other nicks and dings on the body of the phone remained. Completed in about 1 hr.

Meanwhile, my wife’s 6+, which ended up suffering from the “touch disease” that affected so many, was replaced with a refurb unit. The replacement was in pristine condition, however, and seems to be holding up well.

13. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Best suggestion maybe to go during down times like a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon if you can get off work. That way their techs wont be overloaded.

14. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Thanks for all of the replies. Appreciate it!

15. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Just a follow up on this thread. I scheduled a Genius appointment this past Saturday to bring in my X to have the front screen replaced as it was scratched up from me dropping it several times. The Genius took in my phone without an issue. He did state that I'll have one incident left on AC+ which I told him I understood. But two hours later I had basically a new device after the screen was replaced.

I originally was hesitant to bring my X in since the damage was pretty minor compared to what I have seen people do to their iDevices, but the scratches bothered me enough that I just bit the bullet.

16. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Why not put a screen protector on it?

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

A screen protector works for a lot of people. However, there are plenty of screen protectors that cause more problems than they solve, in my opinion.