Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Disavowed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Midwest
Do I have until the end of the first year of ownership of my MBA to purchase Applecare and STILL get educational discount? (yes, I will STILL be in school)

Thanks!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yes.

As long as you're still in school, you can get the educational discount.

And as long as your original warranty is still in effect, you can register AppleCare. I wouldn't wait until the last few days, though. If there's any issue activating it, it can be a PITA to work out if the original warranty expires during the process.

Adapsys

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Depends - Are you buying online?

I just brought a macbook pro on educational discount (from the website) and although applecare is included free, the free cover is for hardware only. No phone support. The extra £57 (or whatever it is in your country) is for added telephone support which MUST be purchased at the sametime as the machine.

I double checked this with an apple rep on the quick chat function.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I just brought a macbook pro on educational discount (from the website) and although applecare is included free, the free cover is for hardware only. No phone support. The extra £57 (or whatever it is in your country) is for added telephone support which MUST be purchased at the sametime as the machine.

I double checked this with an apple rep on the quick chat function.
Weird how different things are in other countries!

In the US, educational discount purchases come with the exact same included warranty as regular purchases (which is 90 days phone support, 1 year hardware support).

Anytime before the 1 year hardware support expires, you can purchase AppleCare, which adds on another 2 years of phone + hardware support.

Disavowed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Midwest
Weird how different things are in other countries!

In the US, educational discount purchases come with the exact same included warranty as regular purchases (which is 90 days phone support, 1 year hardware support).

Anytime before the 1 year hardware support expires, you can purchase AppleCare, which adds on another 2 years of phone + hardware support.

The Apple site makes it very confusing by urging people to buy AC when purchasing by stating "We recommend that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple system to take maximum advantage of the coverage the plan provides."

To me that sounds like you are misssing out on SOMETHING if you don't purchase everything at the same time.

Aristobat, I am not challenging AT ALL, I just want to save a couple bucks now and make sure I am not missing out on anything, ya know. Being on a student budget is tough.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The only thing you potentially lose by not buying AppleCare immediately is continual phone support.

When you buy a new Mac, you only get 90 days of complimentary phone support.

So if you wait until almost a year until you buy your AppleCare, you won't have phone support from day 91 until the day you buy AppleCare.

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
That sounds to me like they're just trying to scare you into buying it when you buy the computer so you don't "forget" to buy it at a later date. If you never have to use the AppleCare, and I'm sure a large majority never do, then it is nothing but profit for them. That is why companies push extended warranties all the time.

So no, you're not missing out on anything.

Personally, I wouldn't get AppleCare. I would look for something that covers ADH (accidental damage from handling). A company called SquareTrade offers this. So far, they seem pretty reliable to me. I'm thinking about getting this for my MacBook Pro when I buy it. Of course, you don't get the student discount, but you can save by finding coupon codes online, and you also get the accidental damage coverage.

The Apple site makes it very confusing by urging people to buy AC when purchasing by stating "We recommend that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple system to take maximum advantage of the coverage the plan provides."

To me that sounds like you are misssing out on SOMETHING if you don't purchase everything at the same time.

Aristobat, I am not challenging AT ALL, I just want to save a couple bucks now and make sure I am not missing out on anything, ya know. Being on a student budget is tough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.