Question about AppleCare. Time is of the essence!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris Welch, May 12, 2011.

1. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

I purchased my MBP on May 14th of last year. The receipt states my warranty is valid through May 13. However, when I put my serial number into the Apple Support website, it says that I must purchase AppleCare for my machine by May 13. Meaning I've got about an hour and a half.

Which is right? Can I go into my local Apple Store tomorrow morning and buy the box? Or should I play it safe and order it online right now?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check your warranty remaining here. If you're still under warranty, you can still buy AppleCare. Or just call them and they can tell you. You don't need to go to a store to buy it. Buy it online.

3. altecXP macrumors 65816

I'd buy it at the store, if you order online I think you have to wait for the box to register your mac.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As long as you buy it during the warranty period, it doesn't matter if you register it a few days or weeks later. You can register it here.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

5. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

In most cases, you need to register the AppleCare protection for your computer within the one year limited warranty period.

However, if you were to purchase an AppleCare Protection Plan and were unable to register it through the website you could always call Apple about registering it as they're generally pretty good about it; worst case scenario you'd most likely get a refund for the purchase price.

Hope that helps, have a great day.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you need to buy it within the first year. You can register it after the 1 year anniversary. There have been many cases where AppleCare allows registration after the 1 year date, as long as it's bought before.

7. Chris Welch thread starter macrumors 6502

But isn't it one calendar year? As I said, I bought it during the evening of 5/14/10. So my warranty expires at 12:00:01 on 5/14, right? I feel like I'm losing my mind. Why is the website making it seem like I have to buy it before tomorrow?

[​IMG]

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just call them now. I wouldn't risk it.

9. crypticgeek macrumors newbie

Completely unrelated, but I think it's really weird that I don't know you. I thought you may have been someone I went to school with. This Chris Welch also went into journalism. He works at CNN now, afaik.

Anyway, I agree...I wouldn't risk it. Buy it now.