Question about AppleCare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flarn2006, Jul 18, 2011.

1. flarn2006 macrumors newbie

If I take my MacBook Pro in for AppleCare service, but remove the hard drive first, will it void the warranty? I don't want them to replace or reformat my hard drive, which I've heard they sometimes do even if the problem is unrelated.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Removing your hard drive won't void your warranty - it' a user replaceable part. The Genius Bar should give you a heads up if they plan on doing any sort or reformatting.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I would back up with Time Machine and leave it in. Removing it won't void the warranty, but it might make it harder to diagnose the problem.

4. flarn2006, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

flarn2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

All I need is a fan replacement (as I mentioned in another thread.) Also, will they be able to replace it while I'm there, or will I need to wait a while without my laptop?

5. Jexta macrumors member

I work for an Apple Authorised Service Center, and standard operating procedure for us with parts is the following:

1. Diagnose the fault
    2. Order a replacement part
    3. Install replacement part
    4. Test to ensure fault is corrected.

Diagnosing the fault could take anywhere from 1-48 hours depending on the number of machines in the queue. Ordering the part means that it should be delivered within 24 hours, but depending on the time of diagnosis could be as long as 48 (or longer if Apple don't have it in stock). Installation should happen on the same day as part delivery, but again this depends on the queue.

I would say that something like a fan replacement should take 2-3 days if the service center is not working in overload.

No respectable service tech would delete your data without contacting you first to ensure you have a backup. If your data is important, you should have made a backup anyway.

In my honest opinion, a fan replacement shouldn't cause a tech to have to wipe your hard drive, unless there is some software fault that is causing the problem to begin with.