All iPads Question about AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cool Pup, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I searched around a while and couldn't find a topic on this. If anybody can help me this would be appreciated.

I bought a Retina iPad Mini today at Best Buy, since they don't offer AppleCare I thought I could just order AppleCare+ online. Well, I don't see an option to buy AppleCare+ separately on Apple. I don't get a "buy now" picture, just an "Automatically Registered" indication.

Can you only get AppleCare+ if you buy it at the time of purchase with the item from the Apple Store? I don't have an Apple Store that is all that close, so I'd like to buy this online, but I don't see a way to do this, can anybody shed some light on the ability to get + without having to have bought it at time of purchase?

2. triple-tap macrumors 6502

No. if you go tothe applecare+ webpage for the ipad, it gives you two options.

Take the ipad to an applestore within 30 days of purchase to buy applecare+

OR

Call the telephone number, and purchase over the phone. If you do this, the technician on the telephone will email you a link to run a diagnostic remotely which will verify for apple that your device isn't already broken.

3. Cool Pup thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I'll be able to do both of those options, theoretically, if I had purchased from another vendor? I'm curious about going to an Apple Store with this without having buying it form them and getting + there, so that's an option too?

4. triple-tap macrumors 6502

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689/applecare-for-ipad

5. martosprint macrumors 6502

You can just call Applecare and register your product by phone at this number

1-800-275-2273

That's how I do it. 

6. triple-tap macrumors 6502

Yes. As long as the seller is an authorized retailer (not person from craigslist unless they give you their original receipt). And remember, it must be done within 30 days of the ORIGINAL PURCHASE!!!

7. Cool Pup thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Thanks for the help you guys, especially posting of the number. I take it it's a pretty easy process and doesn't require a lot of time or nerves to deal with?

Edit: Thanks triple-tap as well for verification.

8. triple-tap macrumors 6502

Mine took all of 4 minutes I think.

9. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I debated getting Applecare for my retina mini, but I declined when buying through the online store.

Now I think I may want it. Mine has not shipped yet, can I call them up and get it added? Or must I wait till I receive it?

If I have to receive it first will it dock the ~15 days it takes for me to get the product, since it says 30 days from time of purchase, or is it 30 days from when I receive it?

I heard that I can cancel and re-order, but I don't want to lose my place in line since I ordered fairly early on the 12th.

I'm still waiting for my 5S from rogers, it's been 7 weeks now :mad: