Question about applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by n0otro, Feb 9, 2008.

1. n0otro macrumors member

I was just at the local CompUSA which is pretty barren now that everything is 30-50% off. I saw the last macbook pro Applecare in stock for 50% off and decided to snag it. $175 marked down from $350, not bad in my book.

I haven't yet purchased my macbook pro (i'm playing the waiting game that everyone else is). The question I have is:
    Can I use the applecare I just bought on the macbook pro i'm going to buy in the future? (pending apple doesn't change the name or some crazy like that) Or did I just do something stupid and buy something that I won't be able to use?

2. schreck macrumors regular

Fantastic question. I would hope so, but I await a confirmed response.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

4. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

you should be able to use it when you purchase you macbook pro-- just have to register with the serial number of your new machine-- they usually don't change the name (ie: i believe MacBook Air owners purchase the applecare for a MacBook-- does that make sense?)

5. n0otro thread starter macrumors member

yeah that makes sense.

Thanks for the confirmation guys!

I was pretty sure that was the case but I didn't want to be bummed out later on.

So, anyone who hasn't bought applecare for any of their apple hardware yet, I recommend stopping by CompUSA quickly before they sellout/shutdown for good and pick yours up for half price!

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

If it is a revision of the Macbook Pro and not a brand new product replacing it with a new name you will be able to use it with no problems. The part number for my iMac Applecare coverage has not changed since at least the introduction of the Intel line and we've been through a few product revisions since then.

If, for whatever reason, you don't end up using the coverage I am sure you could still auction it for more than you paid for it. Even L.A. Computer charges $235. Great purchase, congrats!

Also, as you can see at the L.A. Computer site I linked above the current MBP Applecare also works for the Powerbooks that preceded it which means that it will probably work for whatever eventually replaces it too.