Question about Applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by angemon89, Apr 19, 2009.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Recently I puchased a prev gen MBP with a dented bottomcase but it is under AppleCare warranty. If I went with a certified apple repair shop to repair the MBP, will the Applecare be voided?

2. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

My guess is yes. If you had applecare why didn't you have apple make the repairs?

3. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

I have not gone through with the repair. Apple does not cover accidental damage, and their repair prices are much higher.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why would it void the Applecare if Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage in the first place? It won't be totally voided, but it does open the door for a genius to say "Well, this part is broken because of the accidental damage, and therefore not covered..."

Oh, and repairs by an authorized repair shop are considered repairs by Apple.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Are 3rd party shops required by apple to tell them about repairs that aren't covered by applecare? Do most said shops bother to do extra work for something that isn't going to make them extra money? Does Apple have a enforcement mechanism to ensure compliance?

Can the repair be easily spotted by a genius or repair technician if they have to go back into the machine?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As I understand it, all repairs done on a machine go into a database by serial number.

They do what they're paid for. Is this even a question?

Yes, that's why they're an Authorized repair shop.

7. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

So taking it to a authorized repair shop is really no different than taking it to a genius since they have access to all my records and such? What happens if said repair shop breaks my MacBook on accident?

Also, what if I went with an online repair shop such as macservice? Will the warrant be voided then?

Right now I'm just exploring my options for repair to replace my dented bottomcase.

8. iBecks macrumors 6502

Are the dents that bad? Can they not be covered up?

9. Shivetya macrumors 65816

If you have problems with a repair done by an authorized repair shop then drag Apple into the fight if the shop doesn't move fast enough. The second to last thing Apple wants is authorized shops who give a bad experience.

10. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

If its worth anything, my son had his Nano chewed on by a stray dog that frightened him. It still works but the dock connector was piched closed so the cable wouldn't attach. I took it to my local Apple store. They were kind enough to bend it back so i could dock it again, but was told Applecare is now voided on this ipod. I could transfer the balance of Applecare to another iPod, but it was no longer good for this one.

"Applecare isn't an insurance policy", exact quote. I'm wasn't surprised and dissapointed at the same time..............

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Honestly it just sounds like you're trying to cheat the warranty system. You have the information you need by now, best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

12. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

Why do you say that? I just want to see if I can get my MBP repaired for the best price WITHOUT voiding the Applecare and the warranty on the internal parts.

And yes, I do have all the information thank you. I think I will go with the authorized repair shop if they give me a good quote. If not I will just have to live with it. Thanks guys

13. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

if the bottom case is dented there is no warrant part it is just a piece of metal so it would not be covered under warranty

as far as places to go as long as it is an authorized service provider you can go where ever you like