Question about apples replacement policy?

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Hey guys! I have a 2017 MBP 15” that has been repaired 4 times already with a faulty keyboard. I’m pretty sure my next repair will be a replacement of my device. I have issues with my keyboard again and I’m waiting until the new redesigned keyboard comes out (16 inch).

How does the replacement work? Is it automatically the brand new machine or do they give you store credit and “return” the defective device? Or is it possible they will give me the current model even if a new redesigned one comes out?

I’m done with the butterfly keyboard and I know that a redesign is very near, so I need to figure out a time to bring my device in for another repair. I’m tired of using an external keyboard! Haha

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I don't know if they have an official replacement policy, but from what I've seen here, thy generally offer the next model up if the existing machine has been supplemented by a newer model, for instance you have a 2017, but now the 2019's are out.

I'm not entirely sure you'll get a replacement, its really up to the manager, I've seen posts here a while back when the 2011 MBP was having its share of problems with the GPU and apple's repair program. There were a number of folks who had to keep living with logic board replacements, and never getting a newer machine, meanwhile others did in fact get a new machine. All I'm saying is that I don't think there's a set number or a set rule over this, but I have no hard facts its more of a personal observation.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
A redesigned 15" is likely still a year away, so it might not be worthwhile to wait that long. If they do release a 16" 2019 in the meantime (this has been rumored, not confirmed) but continue to sell the 15" 2019, a 15" with equivalent specs to your 2017 is what you'd get as a replacement.

I'd assume you'd be offered a replacement instead of a fifth keyboard repair. It's not store credit, just a straight-up replacement and the specs are equivalent. The replacement could be new in retail packaging or white-box refurbished, AFAIK there have been instances of both.

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
I know it sounds crazy, but different countries have different laws. You should check your local consumer laws too.