Question about at&t 3G and towers.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mistertomlinson, Aug 16, 2010.

1. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

So, 2 years after at&t's projected completion date, we FINALLY have 3G in my city (Lynchburg, VA). The thing is, it only appears to be in one part of the city, right near my apartment. A few miles from my home, I go back to Edge. I understand if your signal is poor, it'll switch to Edge, but in my case, when it switches from 3G to Edge, I'll have 4-5 bars so signal strength doesn't appear to be the culprit. My question: is it possible they haven't "turned on" 3G on all towers throughout the city yet? I've only had 3G for a few days now and perhaps they're just working on each tower one by one? Or is it possible they're only enabling 3G for one tower, considering it's a pretty busy part of the city?

I figured some of you would remember when they first enabled 3G in your town and maybe you could help. Thanks.

2. celtboy macrumors newbie

Yes, it is certainly possible that certain towers aren't 3G enabled at the moment. :(

I'm in Lynchburg too...and only just noticed 3G was around tonight! (I keep it turned off my phone to save battery).

Has it improved around the city? I was actually in Madison Heights when I noticed...

3. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

By the looks of it, AT&T has a tower in Lynchburg and then a tower about 15-20 miles out in each direction (two near Bedford, two near Altavista, one near Amherst, one near Appomattox), so it could be switching over to one of those if they have a stronger/better signal, but not 3G...