Question about AT&T Account and iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fender4645, Jun 18, 2010.

1. fender4645 macrumors regular

Mar 31, 2010
    i guys-

Hopefully some of you good folks at MacRumors can help me (I've tried posting on other cell phone forums with no luck). My wife and I are on a Family Talk plan w/ 600 minutes. The way the bill is worked out is line #1 is $49.99/month and line #2 is $9.99/month. We both have iPhone 3GS's w/ $30 data plan (total = $129/month). We bought these phones last summer on the day they came available at the subsidized price.

With the iPhone 4 being released, I checked our eligibility and funny enough, only my wife's phone is available at the full subsidized price ($299 for the 32GB). My phone will only get the small discount at $499. On our bill, my wife's phone is considered the "master" phone number (i.e. the line that costs $49.99) so I'm assuming that's why she gets the full discount and not me. However I'm the techie of the family and want to upgrade my phone (she's perfectly happy with her 3GS).

I have a reservation for the 24th to pick up the 4G at the local Apple Store. My question to you guys: can I just bring in my phone and have them upgrade that instead of my wife's? Is there some trick/magic they can do to make that happen? Or should I just have them swap my wife's and then later take it to an AT&T store to swap the sim cards?

Sorry for the long post...any thoughts or advice? Thanks!!
  2. cmwall macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2010
    When I updated to my 3G, they were able to use another of my family member's upgrades to upgrade my phone line. I assume you'll be able to do this, too.
  3. Sinfire macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2010
    To get the best answer, you should be calling AT&T. Any answer you get here will be based on that particular persons location/situation at the time. Just because someone in Florida was able to do something, will not guarantee that a person in California will be able to do it.

Best bet would be to take the new iPhone 4 and your phone to AT&T and have them activate it with your number.
  4. FatherAwesome macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2010
    use it as an upgrade on your wife's line and switch the sim cards and restore your new iPhone 4 with your old backup--done
  5. fender4645 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks, all for the response. FatherAwesome, I thought of that but the 3GS uses SIM and iPhone 4 uses micro SIM so that won't work.

I guess I'll just do as people suggested and get the phone from the Apple Store and then head over to the AT&T store and have them do what they need to do. I'm just worried that the AT&T store is going to be slammed that day and the inept workers won't know how to help me.
  6. hipvamore macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2008
    well my friends who i think have verizon always tell me "i took my moms upgrade and got this new phone" so its a possibility you might be able to do it. you should def call att and find out though. good luck