Question about AT&T iPhone contracts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CoffeeMonkey, Feb 11, 2008.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

If I walk into an AT&T store and sign up for a two-year contract for me and my wife, I would also get a couple of nice free phones.

So if I do that, can I then buy a couple of iPhones, and add those to the account under the same telephone numbers? I don't PLAN on losing my iPhone, but it would be nice to have a backup.

2. madhive macrumors newbie

Yes, you can. IF you buy a SIM Card Usb Tool on ebay, you can clone the sim card you get with your contract, so if you break the phone on accident, then you can put the backup sim in a new phone and it wont affect anything. But if the phone gets stolen, you have to get rid of the backup sim of the phone was stolen, cause there is no use to use an unactivated sim. ...Just wanted to put that out there fer yah'll

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes you can, infact I suggest it. Get the new phones and new contract, buy new iPhones and activate. They will automatically grab your number from your active account (make sure the "old" phones are turned off when you try to activate). Once activated, you can use your iPhone SIM in your other phones without having to do a thing. I have an old Moto V180 I use when I go someplace where I'm afraid of losing my iPhone. If it gets dammaged, the SIM should still work. If it gets lost, I can have the SIM replaced for next to nothing.

TEG

4. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

That is what I am planning on doing. I am going to go sign up for a new contract, get a cheap phone and use it for a week or two so that I can make sure that I like AT&T before buying the iPhone, and then I will use that phone whenever I go camping or somewhere that the iPhone could be easily lost or damaged.

I told the AT&T guy that is what I wanted to do, and he said I was the first person he had talked to about the iPhone who was smart enough to think of that instead of just getting the iPhone immediately.