Question about AT&T iPhone texting.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ArmyMirage, Aug 25, 2008.

1. ArmyMirage macrumors member

I just recently switched from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone. I do quite a bit of texting to friends all over the country and some in Canada. My question is I just received my first bill and noticed I have been getting charged .25 per text to a few of my friends in Canada and it shows up as INTL TXT (I'm guessing International Text). On Verizon that never happened it was considered Domestic and showed up as :Domestic Text" (note: they were not considered IN so that is not part of the issue either). Is that normal? I also changed my iPhone 1500 text plan to the B2B1500 for $8.99 could that have any effect on the charges? or does AT&T always consider Canada International? It's not that big of a deal I can get around it using AIM to send my messages to them and avoiding the 25 cent fee, but directly texting is just easier so I'd like to maybe figure this out.

2. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I think I remember reading in the fine print that yes, anywhere outside the U.S. is considered international texting, and is more cents per text.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

What plan did you have on Verizon that allowed international text message free of charge?

According to Verizon's web site, Messages sent or received from Canada cost 20 cents, just like AT&T.

EDIT: My mistake, not QUITE the same. AT&T charges $.25 to send and $.20 to receive.

AT&T does have an international texting bundle, that's $9.99 for 100 messages. But you'd have to send/receive more than 50 international messages a month for that plan to be useful to you.