Carrier Question about At&t mobile share $10/mo

Discussion in 'iPad' started by falcora, Oct 31, 2013.

1. falcora macrumors 6502

So I currently have an At&t 10 gb mobile share plan. If I get the At&t iPad, I should be able to add it in for $10/month right? Can I add it right in the iPad settings panel, or do I need to visit a store/call them? Can I easily turn it on for one month, then turn it off, etc?

2. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Yes.

That depends on where you buy the iPad. If you get it from AT&T and already add the iPad as a line to your account, then you can just use the iPad right away. If you buy from Apple, you'll need to go to the AT&T store since they'll need to give you a new SIM card.

Not if it's on Mobile Share. Expect a lengthy customer service call each time you do that. There's also a change account fee. If you don't need data all the time, just stick to prepaid. I think AT&T just added some new data passes (e.g. $25, 1GB for 3 months) which is good for low usage (e.g. GPS, Find My iPhone, etc).

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Incorrect.

I purchased my iPad Air (AT&T) from Apple, set it up at home, and added it to my mobile share plan from the device. AT&T sent a confirmation email, that the iPad was activated and added to my plan within an hour.

edit: I used the SIM that came with the iPad

4. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Good to know you can do that now, then. Previously, they deactivated the SIM card and just gave you a new one. Granted, that may be because of change of service from prepaid to postpaid.

5. PaulNY macrumors member

I just added my air to my share plan today. Only thing that's bad is the $36 activation fee AT&T charges. I plan on using data on this baby so I took advantage of their $100 credit when you sign up for 2 years. You have 14 days to cancel once you sign that contract. Everything is done on the device

6. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

What is the $100 credit for? Is it for promising to keep paying $10/mo. for 2 years? How do you get on contract and get the $100?

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

It is a $100 credit on your AT&T account, for agreeing to a two-year contract. I was prompted with the credit offer when signing up via my iPad.

8. ciaran00, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Hi webbuzz, did you use AT&T Next or buy the device outright?

Edit. What I found is:
    1. If you do AT&T Next, then there is no $36 activation, you buy the device for $0 down, and pay 1/20th the device price over 20 months. You will also have the option to upgrade in 12 months. You'll have to add the device to mobile share which is $10/month. There is no $100 credit.
    2. If you do 2 year contract, then you have to pay the full price of the device, minus $100 as a credit to your account. You will need a $10/month data plan to add your iPad to mobile share. This will cost you $36 for activation.
    3. Month to month means full price for device and no $100 credit or payment plan. $10/month contract-free to add iPad to your mobile share. I don't know whether they charge you activation here..

9. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

On #3, there's an activation fee unless AT&T has a promotion or something. Also, for #1, it should be mentioned you have to trade-in your device if you upgrade before the 20-month contract is up.

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I purchased my iPad from Apple.