question about AT&T plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by huskerwr38, Jul 18, 2008.

1. huskerwr38 macrumors member

So I want to buy the new Iphone, but the plans aren't the greatest. If I do the 900 minute plan with rollover minutes and not use any of my minutes then switch over to the 450 minute plan next month, will I have 1350 minutes to use?

2. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I'm 99% certain that they don't count rollover minutes from the first month of service.

3. airlights macrumors regular

No. If they do count -- I cannot remember if my first month minutes rolled over -- you would only get like 400-450 of those rollover minutes.

4. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

If you speak to an AT&T rep, they will tell you that if you "downgrade" your plan, you lose all your roll over minutes to what your new plan minute is.

That my friend, is pure BS. I have over 7000 roll over minutes, and since I downgraded, my roll over minutes remain the same.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Rollover minutes reset when you change plans. That is unless you are simply adding the iPhone data package on top of an existing plan.

TEG

6. huskerwr38 thread starter macrumors member

So you still have 7000 roll over minutes even when you downgraded? Why do they tell you that you will lose all your minutes?

7. ThinkingDog macrumors newbie

If you have 1350 rollover minutes and switch to a lesser plan (i.e., 450), you get 450 rollover min transfered

8. airlights macrumors regular

Really? Wow.

9. huskerwr38 thread starter macrumors member

So, I would have 900?

10. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

What TEG and ThinkingDog said is what AT&T told me...and unfortunately I just checked NOW and it's true. It wasn't true yesterday...sigh...f*cking AT&T.

11. ThinkingDog macrumors newbie

900..only if your new plan is 900. You get up to the amount of your new plan. Unless you're that other guy on the 7000 minute plan :cool:

I think the accounting reasons they do this are pretty obvious from at&t's point of view.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you have 7000 rollover minutes, you obviously don't need rollover so why do you care? (legitimate question, not meant to be mean).

13. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Very true, but I had months where I paid $500 bucks on phone bills because one of my family members went nuts on the minutes. I rather have 7000 minutes and slowly burning those than having 700 minutes and possibly run out in one month.

14. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

If you get the 450 min plan and it has 5000 mins per month of nights and weekends, do the nights and weekend mins roll over?

15. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I don't think anyone has ever had issues with running out of night and weekend minutes...

16. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes it is true. It may take 24-72 hours after a plan change before your Rollover minutes are reflected correctly in OLAM.

Source: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

17. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No, only the rate plan minutes are eligible to rollover. So only the unused minutes in your example would be limited a max addition of 450 minutes per month. That is if you did not use any "anytime" minutes.

18. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

I could get by with 450 daytime mins that roll over each month...right now I have sprint and its 450 daytime and nights and weekend unlimited..

I am thinking of saving $20 a month an going with the $39.99 ATT basic 450 mins plan plus the $30 data plan and then the $5 200 txt message plan.
    That is $75 + taxes.

Right now my Sprint is $68 total with taxes...but I get a company discount and I have unlimted txt messages.

19. MacMonkey13 macrumors member

Does this "reset" of Rollover only apply if you switch new plans? I have been with Cingular /ATT for 3 years and have 3500 rollover minutes on a 1000 minute Family Plan. The IPhone package does not offer a 1000 plan so we were going to go with 700 minutes. I was told that I could keep my rollover.

What's the truth?

20. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The truth is what is published in the quote I posted above, if anyone tells you something different, just ask them to put it in writing or provide a written / published reference that supports their statement.

The reason that Cingular / AT&T put restrictions on Rollover minutes is simular to the changes that were made for the activation of the iPhone 3G. Some people ruin it for everyone. :(

People were using a loophole to bank Rollover minutes. They would pick a high rate plan with Rollover and then when the Rollover minutes built up they would switch to the lowest rate plans. Some people were doing this on a monthy basis.

Reference Source: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...plan-terms.jsp