Question about AT&T Service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mattlanta, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Mattlanta macrumors newbie

Hello, I just regiestered, been here a lot, you guys provide a ton of very good information..

Wondering if you can help me with something.. I currently have Sprint, but my contract runs out on Friday. On Friday, I am thinking about maybe just signing up for a cheap-o plan from AT&T, get the free phone, ect. I want the iPhone, and plan on getting it in July.

My question is, would it be better to just wait til july to get my service up and running or getting service on friday, and just upgrading to an iPhone plan when it comes out? Or does it just depend on how bad I need a phone for the next couple of weeks..?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just keep your current service another month. You are not required to sign a new contract and will be month to month. If you sign up now with AT&T and get a cheep phone you will be locked into a 2 year contract and won't be able to get an iPhone for at least a year.

3. rolex54 macrumors 6502

it would prolly be better to get new service in july, we still haven't figured out this whole eligibility thing yet, but you would guaranteed to be eligible if the iPhone was your first at&t phone

and I love seeing people purge sprint, they suck so incredibly bad

4. amk macrumors newbie

I've been wondering the same thing as the original poster, but my problem is that my current cell phone just took a nose-dive and the screen no longer works at all. Phone works, but I can see anything, including my contacts, etc. I've been thinking maybe I should just go sign up with AT&T and get a free phone that actually works until it's time for me to get an iPhone. What do you mean by eligibility? Obviously I'm new to this whole iPhone thing...

5. rolex54 macrumors 6502

it is believed that if you get an at&t phone you will not be able to buy the iPhone for $200 and $300 when it comes out, because you just got a subsidiary on that first phone. AT&T really doesn't even know what is going on, but I am sure we will learn more as we get closer to launch

6. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Been already said, but I'll just add my vote:

Do not get an AT&T phone/plan until you get your iPhone. It hasn't yet been made clear what the stipulations are to be eligible for the discount on the iPhones that takes the price down to 199/299 and signing up with AT&T before we know for sure would be taking an unnecessary risk. Go month to month for a bit with Sprint to be safe.