Question about AT&T's early upgrade policy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFiend, Jul 14, 2011.

1. iFiend macrumors 65816

Before you say it I am well aware that the policy could change before the iPhone 5 launch :D

So I got an iPhone 4 on launch day last year. A few days ago I did the *639# to see my eligibility and much to my surprise I have a full subsidy already.

Here's my question - Say I were to get a white iPhone 4 with my subsidy today, and then sell my black iPhone 4 to offset the cost (and make a little most likely). When the new iPhone comes in September/whenever, will I be able to but it but at an early upgrade price? Does anyone know if there is a certain amount of time that needs to pass, once you use your subsidy, for you to even be eligible for early upgrade pricing?

I figure buying a white iPhone 4 now is a good investment and I'll get much more for it when the iPhone 5 drops then I would for my black iPhone 4.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

So you want to use your full upgrade pricing today and in 2 months get early upgrade pricing? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! Keep dreaming. Just wait 2 months.

3. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

FYI - I bought an iPhone 4 32gb on 7/31 at early uprade pricing of 499 last year, a mere month after I bought my iPhone 4 16gb on launch day. I want to know if that is still able to be done.

Thanks for nothing :cool:

4. CmdrThor macrumors member

He is talking about the middle-tier pricing ($399/499), not the full upgrade discount pricing.

My sister-in-law upgraded to a white iPhone a month or so ago. She is currently only eligible for no-commitment pricing ($649/749). My guess is you would not be eligible for the early upgrade pricing.

5. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

Did she upgrade to white from black?

I am hoping that the reason I was able to do subsidy on 6/24 and then early upgrade on 7/31 was because of the amount I pay each month.

Anyone else have any insight?

6. CmdrThor macrumors member

No, she upgraded from a 3GS. We have 5 lines on a family plan, one of which got the full price original iPhone, then 3GS (I think on launch day), got full discount pricing on the 4 on launch day, and as of 2 weeks ago is eligible again for full discount pricing.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

OP, ATT changed it's early upgrade policy back in October 2010.
    http://www.bgr.com/2010/10/07/atts-...iled-spoiler-they-made-it-125-more-expensive/

It's actually much worse. First of all, it will cost you $449/$549 for an early upgrade. Plus, previously you only needed to wait 30-60 days when full subsidy upgrade for "early/partial" upgrade.

Now you will have to wait much longer.

Don't risk your full subsidy upgrade. You will be in for a big surprise and find out you need to pay full retail price for the iPhone 5.

We have a duopoly in the USA. Verizon and ATT. Both of them don't care about lowering pricing.

8. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

So which one is it? :)

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

I would suggest talking to AT&T they would know the most about both current and future upgrade policy's. Also get anything you can in writing. ;)

10. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

Already did :)

I talked to a sales rep via online chat just so I could print it out!

Told her my exact scenario, and she said that I'll have to pay early upgrade pricing.

But now with all this new talk about a possible August launch, I may just hold out until then :) I've waited for white for a year...what's another month or two :cool:

11. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I wonder if it has to do with how much your plan is? I upgraded in early February and I can't get early upgrade prices yet.

12. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Just get it, in the end after selling your iphone 4 in a couple months and paying full retail for the new one you will have only spent about $200 extra

13. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

This is true.

I currently have a 32gb black, and want a 32gb white.

Sell current for iPhone $400 (underestimate per eBay) - $299 = about $75 in my pocket after taxes.

I am hoping that I'll fetch more for my white iPhone 4 when the time comes for a few reasons:

1. White iPhone 4s will be more in demand because there are much fewer in the wild compared to black.
    2. it will be in immaculate condition (I am very careful with my babies :))
    3. It will have a warranty that is good until July 2012 (when most other used iPhone 4s will have no warranty

So say I get $550 for my new white iPhone 4. I can get a full priced iPhone 5 (16gb, which I am fine with) for $599. That'll put me about $25 bucks ahead :) Or I can be $75 behind and get the 32gb! OR I could cough up a bit extra and get a factory unlocked iPhone 5 for the resale value.

Decisions, decisions :) Having a hard time not going to the Apple store in about 10 minutes :D