Question about AT&T's language in regards to upgrades

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFiend, Jul 11, 2011.

1. iFiend macrumors 65816

So I dialed *639# yesterday and much to my surprise I received this text:

IMG_0367.PNG

Up until yesterday I would always receive a text that said "upgrade pricing may be available after 7/31 (the day I got my iPhone 4 last year).

So this new text creates 2 questions:

1. Does this text mean that I am eligible for the full subsidy price of 199/299?

2. Are AT&T pushing up dates ahead of a September launch?

What do you guys think?

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Who knows, but save that message and shove it in their face when you go to get the iPhone 5 and they say no.

3. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I forget the proper terminology but it wouldn't be the fully subsidized upgrade price but rather the in between upgrade pricing, which you can see if you login to your account online and go to upgrade your device.

4. Centient macrumors 6502

1. Yes. You're eligible for subsidy pricing. Unless they've changed something. Can't remember if it's a full on subsidy or something less though...

2. AT&T upgrade dates are known to fluctuate. Not sure if they're timed with iPhone releases or not.

5. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies!

Just spoke to my friend in IT, and he showed me his text from last year (right before he got his iPhone 4) that was exactly the same as the one I received. He got the full subsidy so I am hoping I will too!

Sweet :D

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I really don't think ATT cares if they are trying to get you to upgrade before the new iPhone comes out. All they want from you is another 2yr commitment. So it sounds like you are now eligible for a fully subsidized upgrade.

7. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

I actually just logged into my account and fake upgraded my iPhone 4 line. It listed the white iPhone 4 at the 199/299 price :)

White iPhone 5 here I come ;)

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

It's all based on your monthly bill. Also if you increase the amount that you are paying them every month they review your upgrade eligibility every so often and may bump it up. You are qualified for a fully discounted phone.

9. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

Pretty stoked! I should get something for paying this high bill each month :cool:

Anyone else have a similar thing happen? I'd like to know.

10. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Yes they do seem to be shortening the wait for full discount on upgrade pricing. Mine now says I'm eligible right now but until May, it said I might be eligible after July 16, and back in April I think it used to say not until November.

A weird thing I noticed is that ATT doesn't seem to have any black iphone 4 any more, only white ones. They have a few 8GB 3GS phones (a refurb for $19 or new for $49, both only on a 2yr commitment) but that's it if people are looking for black ones right now.

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Mine says the same thing. I bought a Captivate last August (So almost a year ago) and used my upgrade on that.