Question about ATT iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhoneApple, Jul 27, 2012.

1. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

If you put a non-ATT sim card in an ATT iPad 3, will you be able to use the wifi hotspot feature?

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

not without a jailbreak tweak.

the hotspot isnt based on the sim, its based on the software. The gsm software doesnt have it on there (without a jailbreak)

3. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

that stinks. Thanks for the answer!

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think if you have a SIM from a carrier that allows the hotspot option, then the option should show up. You might have to fiddle with the carrier account settings though.

I mean, the AT&T iPad is the same hardware and software as the International iPads, and International iPads allow hotspot tethering where the carriers allow it, correct?

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

not sure, i put a t-mobile sim that has hotspot and it didnt work on my ipad att. Not sure about other carrier sims

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Search for "iPad hotspot" turned up discussions on using iPad hotspot with various carriers, so it depends on the carrier. Did you try inputting the APN settings for t-mobile?

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

nah i didnt, its prolly just the apn like you are saying. I wonder if there is a custom apn for att to hotspot, like the iphone 4 apn back in the day

8. dchao, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

T-Mobile doesn't support 4G LTE yet, T-Mobile could work but at Edge (2G) speeds only. Does iPad 3 even support 2G?