Question about ATVflash

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by shotts56, Feb 13, 2009.

1. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Hi guys - I have a question about ATVflash, and was hoping someone who uses it could help.

I've been thinking about buying it - I used to have Boxee and XBMC, but being honest I didn't like their interfaces so I uninstalled them. I much prefer the standard Apple TV interface & menus.

I've been thinking about ATVflash as that seems to offer similar functionality (ie USB hard drive access, playing AVI files etc), and from what I can see on their website, it SEEMS to be embedded within the original Apple TV interface & menu. Is that right ? Does anyone else use it ?

Thanks

2. ehurdler macrumors member

I personally did not use ATVFlash, there are free alternatives. Search through the forums, but check out this post to maybe get your interest up: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=650432. If you don't mind doing a little bit of work, I would try some free alternatives to ATVFlash.

3. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

All ATVFlash is a re-packaging of a bunch of free plugins along with a patchstick. All that is now free on the ATV-USBCreator which now also let's you install these 3rd party plugins. Why pay for something when, IMO, the free tool does it just as good if not better?

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

Sidenote: To get some things working (like USB drives) you have to use NitoTV's installers.

4. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Here's another vote for ATV-USBCreator.

Not to threadjack, but TuckBodi; do you know if you were able to get AFP and SMB mounts working with ATV-USBCreator? I too assumed it would be with nito's installers but things crash when I try and mount a network volume (but mount fine with XBMC/Boxee).

5. shotts56 thread starter macrumors 6502