Question about audio input

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lovehaight, Mar 6, 2010.

1. lovehaight macrumors member

I have broken off a piece of headphone jack on mac pro (rear) attempted to glue and pushed the piece through-bad...good, front socket is now working...question-is the front basically the same thing? quality difference?would i be better off with imic? finally, all this is moot if I/upgrade to using optical audio, correct? or not? thanks

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Why start a new thread. You started one yesterday :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

I guess the OP sees them as two different questions: one regarding the fixing of the rear output, and another regarding the audio output configuration in the machine.

I'd say the front and rear line output jacks are the same when it comes to sound quality - but separate in functionality. You can see this when using SoundSource - there's an option that automatically mutes the rear output when the front one is activated by plugging in some headphones.

An iMic would be considered a different output by OS X - much like using a USB or firewire interface or the optical output. So, in this sense, if you decide to go with a USB audio interface, there are better options for that money than the iMic.

cheers!