Question about Back to My Mac-Remote Access to Hard Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markw10, Nov 17, 2007.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I see how Back to my Mac is now available with the OS 10.5.1 Update. I'm interested in this and I travel a lot on business and take my MacBook Pro with me. At home I currently have a 500GB drive attached to my Airport Base Station Extreme. I see how if I have a desktop Mac I'm able to browse items on my drive that's at home.
    What my question is, would I be able to access my Base Station's AirDisk while on the road using Back to my Mac? If not would I be able to access a standard Networked (connected directly to Ethernet) drive at home?
    Is my best solution to look into a iMac that I can have at home and just keep my important data on that drive?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Back to my mac basically works as a system to keep track of your home computer's IP address for you (this isn't a new technology). It then allows you to connect to your computer so it allows you to see the shared drives on your computer (as well as do screen sharing if your computer supports that). This unfortunately doesn't allow you to share network shares mounted on your computer (what an airdisk is). You would have to connect the drive directly to your computer or leave copies of information on your main hard drive and setup access to the appropriate directories if you need to.

Of course a round about way would be to use the screen sharing feature to take control over your home mac remotely. This is pretty resource intensive and isn't recommended for any serious work.