Question about background processes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by terrrrrible, Jul 9, 2008.

1. terrrrrible macrumors regular

Now I know no one knows exactly how this will work until the software comes out, and I'm usually against these kinds of threads, but I'm kind of curious as to how programs like AIM and Twitterrific are going to work if there aren't "true" background processes. Say on AIM I am logged in, and I leave the program, will it stay connected, and if I receive any IMs, they will all show up when I open the program again? Also for Twitteriffic, any new tweets that come through will show upon opening the app again.

2. Penguinwrangler macrumors regular

Seconded...

I'd like to second this question, I'm curious about this functionality as well.

3. MacMalv macrumors regular

if you watched the keynote you would have known!!!
    basically its connects to "the cloud" and has push notifications. which stops background processes clogging up the phone

4. terrrrrible thread starter macrumors regular

Well yes, but that was only with that application that is being developed and won't be available until September I thought. Plus, the companies making the applications need to add that functionality to their apps, which would add another month or so until it would be available. How will the iPhone handle these things for the first few months with out it.

5. MacMalv macrumors regular

its in testing at the moment i think. and apps wont be able to handle background processes till then

6. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

The session is kept alive on the AIM or MSN Server. This is the reason why when you log into multiple places, it tells you that your logged into multiple places and asks you if you want to proceed.

So with live session, when you get a new message, AIM/MSN will send out a notification to Apple which manages the connection to your iPhone. At this point you will receive a notification.

I hope that makes sense.

7. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

iPhone is not allowed to have any background processes due to battery life and OS integrity.

8. terrrrrible thread starter macrumors regular

So right off the bat, you will receive a notification when an IM is sent to you, without the use of that other program?

I'm just trying to think of it as, what's the point of having an IM program if you don't know you're getting messages when you aren't in the client.

9. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

All this will be worked out once Apple releases this in September time frame but yes. Its pretty much the same concept as the true push email.

You will get a notification when you have a new message or SMS or IM message etc.

Your iPhone will be treated as a client and the communication is done between the AIM/MSN Server and Apple.