Question about backing up and restoring iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iphones4evry1, Dec 12, 2009.

1. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

My iPhone had problems and so the Apple store swapped it out for a new one. I backed up the old phone right before I went to the Apple store. When I got home, I plugged in the new phone and clicked on "restore." Of the five pages of apps that I had, only about 15 apps loaded onto the new phone (the native apps and a few third party apps). I immediately called Apple tech support and they told me that a "backup" only saves the phone's settings, phone numbers and "native" apps. Third party apps and any data that may be in those third party apps is NOT backed up. IS THIS TRUE??? I had data in the third party apps (SafeNote app, with tons of notes, with phone numbers, job info, and kinds of stuff), and then in other apps I had a bunch of data. I had been "backing up" my iPhone for the past year and a half thinking that it saved everything, and now I find out that it's all been lost.

Is this the case? Can anyone confirm "yep. Apple never told you this and they still don't tell new customers but it's the dark truth about the iPhone."

2. iphones4evry1 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

UPDATE!!! It's there. Okay, so Apple told me to resync the phone even though the restore didn't load the apps. iTunes said it was "installing" all of my apps, and I thought "great. they are going to be new, blank apps," but THE DATA IS HERE!!! So, iTunes does back up the data for third party apps, but it doesn't load those when you restore. You still have to do a sync after you restore.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Apps are synced.

App settings are backed up.

So, if you synced, you should have all your apps. Or you can just redownload them for free.

After you restore from the backup you should get all your game saves and such back.

Edit: See you figured it out. You were obviously told wrong by the first person you talked to, but you've discovered that now.

4. iphones4evry1 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Thank you. :)

5. elyaas macrumors newbie

So, when you do this syncing, does it sync your texts as well?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not when you sync, when you restore from backup it puts back all your text conversations and general iphone settings like alarms etc...

7. elyaas macrumors newbie

Including my contacts (which are synched to Google) and my gmail and all that jazz? If that's the case, I'm going home and restoring this thing. :)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That right.
    Go for it.