Question about backing up.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CrackedButter, Oct 24, 2009.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Correct me if I'm wrong but *everytime* I sync my iPhone it supposedly backs up all my data.

If this is the case, why is when I remove an app from the iPhone to add it back at a later date does all the saved games or settings get wiped?

This is very annoying and I feel a little mislead. From my point of view it just seems to backup the app itself and nothing else, which I find rather pointless when anything I can purchased can be re-downloaded for free anyway from Apple's servers.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iTunes backup doesn't backup the apps themselves, just the data. This backedup data is meant to be used when you need to restore your iPhone for some reason, or you get another iPhone and need to transfer your data to the new one. It's not meant to keep backups of the data of apps that you delete from your iPhone and restore that data when you reinstall the app at a later date. I do wish Apple had provided a way to backup and store data for indivicual apps separately, but they didn't, and I don't think they ever suggested that iTunes' backup function would do such a thing.

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I don't think they ever suggested that iTunes wouldn't do it either.

Thanks for the explanation though.