Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
I hate to start a new thread but I really need to confirm this. My iPhone 4 is currently jb on 4.0.1. Long story short I got custody of my 2 oldest daughters back in June to some abuse allegations against my ex-wife. I have numerous text messages that the department of human services(people handling the case) are wanting to use in their case against my ex-wife. If i understand correctly if I backup my iPhone(even while jb) it will still backup my text. I can then update to 4.1 and when the time comes that I have to go back to court and need these text messages I can just restore from the backup that was done while I was jb on 4.0.1 and I'll have them back?? I just need confirmation on this due to the situation. I'm sure someone will say just to stick with my current jb and be happy but I bought my daughter a iPod touch for Christmas and would like to be able to use FaceTime to check in with her throughout the day without having to pay for her a separate cell phone. Thanks!

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Yes, backing up the iPhone will save your text messages. When you update/restore your iPhone choose the same back in iTunes to restore your iPhone with.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Yes, backing up the iPhone will save your text messages. When you update/restore your iPhone choose the same back in iTunes to restore your iPhone with.
For something that important I'd search and fine out where your backup is stored and make a copy. You never know.

Case in point: I backed up my phone and then restored 'as new' (to try to fix the wifi issue introduced in iOS4). Can't remember the exact chain of events now, but I plugged the phone back in to the computer and iTunes was set to automatically back it up.

Yep, over wrote my good backup with a nice clean empty one. Lost all emails, numbers and correspondences (as well as all my game saves).

iloveiphone4

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
i can confirm what sedrick says and trust me i just did that whole damn thing today just a couple of hours ago.

here is what you need to know, you can easily find the backup folder :

C:\Users\(your profile name here)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

choose the biggest size folder and keep a backup of it.

Secondly, when you upgrade your phone, and restore from your 4.01 backup, that backup is upgraded to 4.1 and you cannot downgrade ur phone back to 4.0.1 and hope to restore from backup as it will not work and it will say the backup is created with a future version of ios.

so take a copy of the backup and u can always use some backup viewer to view the messages and stuff like that just in case.

currentcomics1

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
Screen shots

Another form of back up can be taking screen shots of the text messages and save them to your folders. Hold home and power button at the same time for a second or two, then email the photos to yourself and save in photo album.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Another form of back up can be taking screen shots of the text messages and save them to your folders. Hold home and power button at the same time for a second or two, then email the photos to yourself and save in photo album.
Yep, definitely get them off the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.