Question about backups on external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dr Kevorkian94, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Back story:

Ok to make a long story short, I have a new external drive connected to my airport extreme. When I got it I partitioned it and then connected it to the airport, when I connected it to my airport it showed up in "shared" in the finder. So when it asked me to select a drive in time machine I chose it from there. Now it is backing it up wirelessly but it is taking forever (it says 2 days).

Question: I want to just stop the current backup and then disconnect it from my airport. After that just connect it to my Mac directly so it will back up faster. Now the question is when it's done backing up and I re connect it to my airport extreme, will the backup be recognised and not like "mess up" because the file isn't in the same place it was before?

Thank you in advanced!

2. simsaladimbamba

No, as TM uses a "sparseimage" to store its backups in when backing up via a network connection and it doesn't recognise a backup created via a direct connection.

Time Machine FAQ

3. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

"

So I must wait 2 days uhhh, and the "sparseimage" I'm guessing you are talking about is the time machine drive that pops up in my desktop when a backup is started. Because then i do see the back up in my external drive.