question about backups

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chopperman9, Feb 12, 2012.

1. chopperman9 macrumors newbie

is there any way to restore from a backup within a backup file? i recently lost all my contact and calendar info when i deleted hotmail from my iPhone 4. when i plugged it into my computer, iTunes made a backup of the phone and i wasn't able to stop it in time.

iCloud was not set up on the phone either...

any suggestions would be gladly appreciated!!!

2. normanbates macrumors regular

Goto the iTunes folder on your pc. In there somewhere is a folder containing all the backup files. Look for the latest one then look for the one before that. Move the latest one out of that folder and when you back up it should use the one previous to the latest backup, unless of course if there is only one backup in the folder

3. chopperman9 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the tip! however, it looks like there is only one backup and it's the latest one and doesn't have my lost contacts and calendars...

do you know if there's a way to modify the backup files so that i can get those lost contacts/calendars/etc.. ??

4. normanbates macrumors regular

If they're not in the backup mate you've lost them. They would have been deleted prior to the backup and won't be included in it.

You don't want to manually modify the back up as it will lose its signature and won't go on the phone should you ever need to use it again.

The only thing you can do is start a fresh and remember to use your iCloud.

Also if you have outlook you can swet your iTunes to sync with that and it will copy contacts and calendar events to it and you can retrieve them from that if you have to restore again

5. chopperman9 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the tips! i realized afterwards that i had a time machine back up that i could use to get the old back up so it ended up working out fine. i appreciate you helping me out!

6. scottieprior macrumors newbie

Hte iphone backup extractor is also a very good application to backup any files and data. Type to a backup is enough to satisfy many users, some users need more than one iPhone backup stored in the computer. you will find more than one iPhone backup process is not as difficult as it may seem.