Question about backwards iOS support

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by AndyCodez, Aug 29, 2010.

1. AndyCodez macrumors regular

Ok here is a few questions that I'm not sure I understand well. Since I still have users using 3.1.x I need to support iOS4/3.2/3.1.x. My question is as follows, I have older xcode and sdk's for the older devices but when building/deploying/releasing the application to the app store how sould I build it?

Should I build it in the older version and release it?

Within the code I am using:
    #if __IPHONE_OS_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED >= 40000
    #endif

But I do believe that just avoids compiling that code in based on the target device? So if I built the project for iOS 3.1.2 but once a user tries to use it on the iOS4 device they still will not be able to use the features in those build statements?

If anyone could answer these questions, or point me to a resource that could give me more information I would greatly appreciate it!

2. ranguvar macrumors 6502

Under Edit Project Settings -> Build tab -> iPhone OS Deployment Target, set the minimum supported iOS version, in your case 3.0.

3. AndyCodez thread starter macrumors regular

Even though in the newer version of xCode it only has 3.2 and 4.0 but I want it to be useable for 3.1.2 to 4.x.

4. ranguvar macrumors 6502

Did you read my previous post? I'm using the newest version of Xcode and it offers compatibility down to iOS 2.0.

5. AndyCodez thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I read it, but my newest xcode has minimum of 3.2 maybe its because i have 2 separate xcode versions on my machine.